Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

I was driving and dropped something under my seat so I went

Customer Question

I was driving and dropped something under my seat so I went reach for it and my arm pressed the seat buttons and my seat started moving. Then when I went to move it back it just didn't move at all. My seat has been working completely fine
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now my seat is sitting super low and it's uncomfortable
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello Christina, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Does any switch work on the seat? does the seat back move? lumbar? any switch at all? Also, what model Dodge is this? Let us know, thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been working completely fine and outta nowhere it stopped after I was trying to reach under my seat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't touch any wires or anything while going under there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 2011 Dodge Charger rt driver side seat
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, I am going to pull the wiring diagram and take a look, but you can't move anything on that seat, including the seat back correct? every switch is dead? That will tell us if there is power to the switch at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing at all works on it. It wasn't slow or anything before, motor was strong. I don't know if something is knocked loose or what but my seat is sitting super low now. None of the switches on the seat work
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, Does the passenger seat work (if it has a powered passenger seat)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both my seats are power everything in the car is power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 2011 Dodge Charger rt hemi
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright I understand, I want you to try the passenger seat switches and see if the passenger seat moves, as both of those seats look to be on the same power circuit. Can you confirm if the passenger seat works or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One second
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, take your time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the passenger seat does not move. There were literally working absolutely fine up until like a hour ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is my number if you need to call
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, that is what I suspected, In the trunk, open the bottom of the trunk like your getting out the spare tire, and you will see the battery, just in front of the battery, is the rear fuse box, find fuse number 31, it's a 25 amp fuse, pull it out and tell me if it's blown or looks black. I'm helping about 4 other people right now Christina, if you can give me 15 minutes I can give you a call, can you check that in the meantime. It's on page 498-500 in the owners manual if you have it.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

We are experiencing high volume right now and I apologize but I can call as soon as I can get on top of it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok well I'll check that when I go back outside and then respond thank you
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, let me know what you find there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the fuse box open
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, look for fuse number 31, and pull it out, should be a fuse puller in that box, or you may have to use a small pair of pliers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find 31 they all say 30
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll take it to pep boys and have them look.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or I'll find it later and then message you then
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Look at this diagram, and find slot number 31. This is a diagram of the fuse box in the trunk. pull out fuse 31 and see if it looks dark or discolored or if it's visibly blown.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

I'm 99% the sure the fuse is blown since the passenger doesn't work, you may have to fuse a small set of pliers or needle nose pliers to get it out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the diagram and where 31 is but it's not matching up to what I'm looking at
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since that may be the issue I will just change it myself and see if that works
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Your looking at this correct? That diagram is correct, BUT, it's what is in the shop manual, and is not really clear and to scale. See where the 25 is about in the middle of this picture? swap it temporarily with the other one near it that says 25, Swap them from position to position with each other. and tell me if it works then.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

The 25 that is just to the left of the 2 blue fuses (15 amp each) that is position 31. that is the power seat fuse.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if that helps any. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it to pep boys they swapped out the fuse and it burnt up right away they told me to take it to a dealer what do you think is wrong ? Maybe a short?
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Alright, if it burned the fuse immediately, then it's likely the wires are shorted under the seat, either they got hot in the connector, or you have that power wire shorted to ground in the harness. If you have a local independent shop that specializes in electrical, or a local shop that specializes in Dodge vehicles, I would recommend that first. An auto electrical shop should be able to find this relatively easily since it looks like a constant short and isn't intermittent, I would call a few places and ask them if they are experienced in finding shorts and tell them the situation. If they don't take it, they can likely point you in the direction of someone that can. You can always take it to the dealer, but they are usually twice as much on things like this. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.