Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

2001 Ram 1500. Got a dead battery and P0443 code. Cleared

Customer Question

Hi 2001 Ram 1500. Got a dead battery and P0443 code. Cleared code runs OK, but CEL comes back on same code. Have IOD of almost one AMP. IOD drops to 70ma when I pull the engine control fuse. Drain still high with PCM disconnected. Also, I noticed the power door locks operating intermittently on their own?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Door locks still operated on their own with fuse removed.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dodge Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The code P0443 can be set by any of the following,

• Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
  • Purge Solenoid
  • Purge Solenoid Wiring

In order to determine which is failing you are going to need to do some testing . I have enclosed the steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0443%20Jan%2030.pdf

The draw concern you are having is likely related to the door lock problem and the common cause for this type of problem is usually a failing Central Timer Module (CTM). Try disconnecting it and see if the draws leaves. Is so the the CTM is likely at fault.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I forgot to say disconnecting the purge valve did not reduce the IOD. Where do I find the CTM?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The CTM is under the dash next to the steering column, you have to remove the panel under the column to access it. See it in the location below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/CTM%20Jan%2030.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Disconnected CTM, same drain. I see in the manual that PDC fuse 3 (engine control 2) goes to PCM (the obvious suspect) fuel pump and ignition switch. I'll disconnect the PCM again tomorrow.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay post back , Im off today but will be here on Monday.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so with CTM out I had the same .9A drain.
With PCM disconnected (and CTM still disconnected) the drain was lower, .6A
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Its not likely the PCM causing the drain, have you tired pulling each fuse one at a time to try and isolate the circuit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
drain is on PDC fuse 3 ("engine control 2")
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay then is has to something in that circuit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should doors lock and unlock when I pull/replace that fuse#3?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

No they should not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had random power lock activity after the first dead battery. When I pull PDC#3 I still get door lock action even if the power lock (interior fuse block) is removed. So what module can operate doors locks around the fuse?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The door locks are controlled by the CTM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure what to do next.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this type of problem is going to take some hands on testing and I can not do that from here. Something is being overlooked here and Im not sure what it is . I can open the post back up for you and see if someone else has something new to offer if you would like. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

doing so now