Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a shimmy in my truck... I recently had my tires

Customer Question
replaced and I had them...
I have a shimmy in my truck... I recently had my tires replaced and I had them balanced at the time of replacement. I proceeded to drive down the road and on the highway and at certain speeds even slow the truck just seems to be loose and just wiggling all over the place. I initially thought that maybe it was out of balance tires so I went and got them rebalanced again the problem went away slightly but within a week or so it came back. I started to think that maybe it was something smaller like an out of balance drive shaft but that made me think that it would be an extreme vibration because it's such a small diameter and then I was also thinking that maybe it could be something in the rear end differential but I'm not sure. I was also thinking that maybe it was a bad wheel hub bearing but I figured that it would probably be making a lot of noise and I would be able to tell right away. I also had my front wheel hub bearings replaced about 3 months ago. I also considered a bent axle bi
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
1/29/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 1 year ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you feel the shimmy i the steering wheel or more from the seat of your pants?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I feel a vibration in the steering wheel and i also feel a shimmy in my seat.... Thru out the vehicle. I have a blurred image in my driver mirror and it kinda looks like the tail of my truck is bouncing at the same rate i feel in my seat/ vehicle. If that makes sense.

Ok, this is usually aused bya partially seized ujoint in the rear shaft, and is common, have you pulled the rear of the shaft out and seen if it moves freely, usually when this happens, the rear shaft has rough spots in it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced the rear u joint in the main drive shaft about 6 months ago....but the front u joint in the main drive shaft was ok and still looks fine. I was thinking at one point maybe if my rotors were not tru and needed to be turned maybe with some excessive pressure from the caliper and the brake pads against them maybe it was hitting high spots and forcing my wheel to slightly slow down without me actually touching the brake does that make sense?

No, it wont be the rotors, if it does it when the brakes are NOT applied, have you removed the shaft, and checked the front ujoint, or just visually checked it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ive visually inspected the forward you join... But my question is if the forward u joint was bad wouldn't it create a high vibration instead of a sort of wobble consistant of a larger diameter....thing? Which is what im feeling.

No if the ujoint has ridges inside, it will create it at any speed, and is common, the center carrier bearing can also cause this, have you checked the carrier bearing too?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No i havnt checked it.

these would be the 2 most common culprit on this truck, how many miles do you have on this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have about 145000. But it still seems funny maybe coincidental... That I got new tires and now I'm feeling this

so this was not here, until you got the new tires?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea. Im wondering if is bad tires

Yes, it is possible you got one with a broken belt in it, you could rotate the front to the rear, and see if it feels like the vibration moves, this would verify it, but if it was not there until you replaced the tires, then it has to be a bad belt, or they ar still out of balance,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dis rotate them before getting them re balanced and it didnt change

then it has to be a broken bet in one of the tires, I would take itto a different tire shop and have them check them,Tim

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks man

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping,Thanks in advance,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH