Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

My son's 2008 Dodge Avenger Headlights Low Beam stopped

Customer Question
Hi, My son's 2008 Dodge Avenger...
My son's 2008 Dodge Avenger Headlights Low Beam stopped working. First it was only one. I thought it was the bulb so I replaced it and it did not work. I thought they sold me a bad bulb, so I remove the bulb from the working side to install the new one from the store; well now both side don’t work. I could not find a fuse in the “fuse box” or TIPM.
Can you help me to find the issue?
Thanks!
-Julio
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
1/29/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your vehicle uses a control module called the Totally Integrated power control module.This module receives the signals to turn on the head lights from the head lamp switch and then sends the voltage signals out to the head lights for proper operation.This control module usually fails internally electronically and causes this type of fault here needing replaced.

You can test for power (at or near 12 volts with the head lights switched on) at the drivers side bulb at the white wire with dark blue stripe and power at the passenger side bulb at the white wire with tan stripe.If you do not have voltage here I suspect the module has failed needing replaced.Double check and make sure the fuses B 30 amp and 17 10 amp as well as 33 a0 amp are all o.k. as these work with the head light system.These are all located in the module itself.This is the fuse panel/module located under the hood near the battery itself.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hello Pete,

I will measure the voltage at the headlight's connectors later today.

Hopefully is one of the fuses...

Replacing the TIPM? how about trying to find the issue and repair it?

Thanks!

Julio

O.k.,let me know what you come up with here when your done.You can sometimes have a repair facility that works on electronics repair it as usually it can be a bad diode or resistor in the TIPM or a bad chip needing replaced.Unfortunately I dont have the info on this on how to repair it myself as they are usually replaced when they fail.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

About the fuses, this is what you wrote:

Fuse B - 30 amp

Fuse 17 - 10 amp and

Fuse 33 - a0 amp

I don't think the fuse number/amps are correct, can you double check?

Thanks!

Can you post the engine liter size so I can double check this here just to be sure?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT

2.4L Gasoline I4

O.k.,fuse 8 not fuse B I apologize for that as my diagram was slightly blurry.This is a 30 amp fuse.Fuse 17 and fuse 33 are both 10 amp fuses and are tied into the light operations here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfkgz8swnsqi9xv/f-01-29.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/26zwgh7ba0wwczk/fu-01-29.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/94pjktanj0x6z8f/fus-01-29.gif?dl=0

They are labeled for other components but they are tied into operating the TIPM and light components.Here is the diagram for your models head lights as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnoqqkbswjxrrqc/di-01-29.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpig7y8d0v9obfn/dia-01-29.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hi Pete,

My son's car headlights are now working; it turns out that it was just a bad bulb. It was my blunt, while installing the new bulb I kept the car running all the time (I am in Wisconsin), this was the mistake. There is a procedure to do this. You need to turn the lights off, shut off the car, install the new bulb and then turn the car and the lights back on. Apparently the current stabilizers in the TIPM prevent it to power on the lights if you are removing/installing the bulbs without first resetting the system? I figure this out by accident...

Thanks!

That is great to hear the fault has been located and repaired.If the TIPM doesnt see the new bulb as it assumes there is a fault with the old bulb when you install a new one with the key on or running the bulb will not light up.The key has to cycle off and on again to reset the TIPM so it can re check the bulb operation on the next key on.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician