Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I 't see a name. Anyhow, I have a 2003 Dodge Neon SXT, 2.0…

Customer Question
Hello. I don't see...

Hello. I don't see a name for you. Anyhow, I have a 2003 Dodge Neon SXT, 2.0 L, 4cyl eng that races to 5000 rpm after eng start. I told my wife to shut the car off and go thru the On-Off-On-Off-On sequence to ck for eng fault codes; none displayed. Eng Fault indicator not illuminated on intstrument panel. Tired a second time, and car accelerated to 6000 rpm. Advised my wife to turn it of and leave it off.. Recommendations?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The only other thing that might have a bearing on this is I changed the drivers side 9007 halogen lamp. I double checked my work and my wife drove to car to where she is now without incident.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
1/28/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Joe, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

This could be a stuck throttle butterfly/throttle cable, or a large air/vacuum leak and or tps issues, along with a few other things.

The first thing I would do is use a professional scan tool to evaluate the tps sensor and then move on to disconnecting the throttle cable from the throttle body and seeing if it was stuck open due to the cable/pedal or the throttle body butterfly is stuck open such as from debris and or other build up.

Using a scan tool you will be able to view systems and check for codes that you will not locate the method you tried.

You can give an gas engine more fuel and it will flood out without air, however if you give it more air it can make up for the air esp if this is for instance a tps sensor telling the ecm that the throttle is open when it is not., or is when it should not be.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.