Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1991 Dakota. 5.2l. Won't start. Car would stall and was able…

Customer Question
1991 Dakota. 5.2l. Won't start...
1991 Dakota. 5.2l. Won't start. Car would stall and was able to restart it after waiting about 20 mins. Now nothing. Replaced fuel lines as I noticed they were leaking. Replaced coil. No spark, not sure about fuel but it will not start even if I flood the throttle body with gas. Looked for corroded line under windshield washer reservoir. All looked fine. Swapped our asd relay. Nothing.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/27/2016
Dodge Mechanic: bill, dodge master tech replied 2 years ago
bill
bill, dodge master tech

have you pulled codes as of yet?

No. Not sure what kind of reader I need. I have a reader for modern cars but there is no such port. If you tell me what kind to get I will get one.

it's EASY on the OLDER pre 1995 Chryslers here is a link to the procedure, you cycle the key as instructed and read the check engine light, it's the SAME way for ALL older Chrysler, dodge and jeep vehicles, should you wish to read the engine computer data stream you will need a dedicated obd1 scan tool which can be pricy since they are dedicated to JUST one manufacturer

http://www.wranglerboard.com/f9/obdi-yj-trouble-code-reference-262/

once you get the codes I can help further, remember with the older systems the computer will usually set a code BUT not always set a check engine light, unlike modern 1996 and up vehicles which are required by law to set a check engine light ANYTIME a fault is stored

32 is the only code I get. Would failure of egr cause it not to start?

no an egr should NOT cause the engine to not start, failed egr valves (if your truck even has one) will cause a stall at idle or stumble, hesitation poor idle but not prevent the engine from running, my first thought is a failed crank sensor which is the primary sensor the engine computer uses to run the engine, it controls timing fuel spark and a few other items so if it is on it's way out it can easily cause a no start die out and take time to restart, I have seen them fail hot and after 10 plus minutes cool enough to allow a restart, big thing with our systems is part quality cheap discount store sensors usually DO NOT work well or long, and usually have you chasing your tail, I use OEM or if I need an aftermarket one a NAPA proline sensor, as they work

Sounds like a logical diagnosis. Is this found on the bell housing or is it part of the distributor?

you have 2 the one on the bellhousing is the CRANK sensor and the usual one to fail, the one in the distributor is NOT common to fail and is the CAM or also called the SYNC sensor that sensor tells the computer exactly where #1 is so it can set the timing and ignition advance correctly.

I would replace the one on the bellhousing as a starting point

Ok. Got the part from Napa. Can you help me locate it? I am assuming the black rod gets inserted somewhere in the bell housing and the connection is made internally?

trace the wires from the one on the truck you will find they go behind the distributor, you will need a long 1/4 inch allen socket to get the bolts out, the location is on the passenger side of the engine and bolts to the block using a mirror will help see it,but you will need to pull it out by "feel" on a 1500 or grand Cherokee they are a royal pain on a Dakota you will create some new words (usually the Dakota is a very tight engine bay) it comes out from the top and is accessed from the top, you will see the mounting bolts have a hex cast into them this is what the allen socket is for you cannot get a regular socket on the bolts

I spent three hours looking for this. There is no connector to match the one on the new part, no wire coming from bell housing, no Allen type bolts. Nothing. It's possible that this is not the original engine. The car was built in 8/90. I assume this is the 91 model year? Title says 91. Any other ideas? I have a Haynes manual and it shows the crank sensor for '92 and later.

may I have the vin so I can look up the exact engine you have?

99% were multi point injected engines there were few that were throttle body injected engines which use only the sensor in the distributor, the MULTIPOINT injected engines use both a cam and crank sensor

1B7FL26Y4MS230631

the vin is too old for me to get a definite decoding rom Chrysler I am going to opt out and reopen this to the other experts DO NOT REPLY or no other expert can assist

I did not hear back from anyone else on this. I decided to replace the pickup coil and that did it. Fired right up.
bill
bill
bill, dodge master tech