Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I replaced my water pump radiator and thermostat on my 2011

Customer Question
3500 ram and it still...
I replaced my water pump radiator and thermostat on my 2011 3500 ram and it still keep running hot after a whole day
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
1/27/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what the engine coolant temp is reading when this occurs here?

Has anything else been checked,tested or replaced to try and locate or correct this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing else has been replaced. After I drive it for a minutes it seems as if the gas pedal sticks cause it idles up and goes down ones I tap the pedal. My temperature gauge goes all the way to the end of red and will show temperature hot symbol. But it will go back down sometime

Has the actual engine temperature been checked to verify the engine is running hot?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's running hot and losing water

O.k.,with all of this already being replaced here what can cause this issue here is a fault with either a cylinder head gasket leak to where engine exhaust is entering the coolant system with no external or internal engine or coolant leaks as this can occur.Having a block test done will test to see if this is the cause here and most shops can do this within an hour or less.You can also purchase a block tester from a local parts store in some cases to do this test yourself.I have run into several head gasket leaks before in the past needing replaced to correct this fault.

The other issue can be a coolant restriction in the engine itself.The block can corrode and block coolant flow in some cases and cause this fault here.If the engine block was not flushed and the block test comes back negative then I would have the block flushed to see if this frees up and removes debris to correct this fault here.

The block tester usually comes with easy to follow instructions on how to use it.It sits on the radiator fill spout and blue fluid is poured into it.Then the engine run to observe if the fluid bubbles and turns green in color usually.If it does this indicates a cylinder head gasket leak needing repaired.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician