Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2010 Dodge Journey Power Steering hose leak. I need to know…

Customer Question
2010 Dodge Journey Power Steering...
2010 Dodge Journey Power Steering hose leak. I need to know if it is possible to change the rubber hose on the power steering return line. One end goes over the nipple end of a metal hose line (no problem) but the other end of the 12" rubber hose has what looks like a metal compression clamp on it, and then metal tubing from that clamp
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
1/23/2016
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 2 years ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

Can I get the last 8 of your VIN to see what hoses we offer on your power steering hose?

9AT122411
sorry AT122411

Thanks for the VIN!!!

That VIN comes back on a 2010 Brilliant Black Journey and I attached the power steering hoses.. #1 is the pressure hose.. And I'm now looking for your part number 05085546AE to see if I can find it.. Do you see the hose you need?

No I don't see it, I had the same hose blow last winter,the vehicle was under warranty so I took it in, now it blew again 13 months ago (1 year parts and labor really helped me on this one). So I think the dealership put in someother hose/line configuration, because all the pictures I have seen show metal tubing connecting to the return line. My vehicle has rubber hose continuing up the passenger side for the vehicle. I drew a picture of what my configuration looks like.

It looks like #8 the bottom one is your hose... The left side goes to the rack and pinion..

in your pictures #8 is closet, but do you see how in your picture it goes from the threaded end down metal tubing to the 12" ruber hose section then straight in metal tubing again. My picture has the treaded end going to metal tubing in the 12"rubber hose section then after the metal bend it goes back into 8-12" of rubber hose then compression clamped to metal tubing. I can have access to that section of rubber hose at the passenger side wheel hub area. I cant see my configuration on any internet or part pictures
that picture is the same as the last. Do I have to replace the entire line, in the vehicle it looks like it snakes all the way up to the front of the vehicle, or can't I just change the rubber hose section that is leaking
I realize that is the part that is listed under dodge parts bu that is not what is under my vehicle

No it comes as you see it from us(Dodge). And the rubber hoses are serviced as an assembly.. Also after clicking #8 it shows it'snot for your vehicle per VIN... The ones that are on your vehicle are #1, #6 and #9..

Number 9 section of hose/tubing is on my vehicle YES? But my leak is not in the #9 section. My issue is on the rubber hose that is attached to #9 on the right hand side (passenger side). Again one, end is attached to #9 via a basic hose clamp (I can that end off) the other end of the 12" rubber hose is attached to metal tubing that has a compression clamp. Can I get that off and replace the hose and compression clamp

If I'm looking at it right the bottom of #6 goes to #9.. Correct?

That's possible, if the bottom of #6 is rubber hose. I don't think I can change all of #6.

If so then #6 is serviced as an assembly but you can just replace by taking a cut off wheel and cutting the compression clamp off and sliding the hose off.. But make sure you get power steering pressure hose to go back on and I would knurl the end of the hose and use 2 clamps to ensure a good seal.

If you were to bring your vehicle to my dealership we would replace the entire #6 assy for you...

I hope this helps,

Brad

Then I need to know the right type and size of hose to buy because the inside diameter would be absolutely crucial
what do you mean knurl the end of the hose

I would remove it and take it to the parts store so you get the correct hose.. And by knurl you will want to roll the end up a little so the hose doesn't slide off.. or flare it with the attached tool.

Glad I could help and thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

If you need more assistance feel free to reply, if your all set I would appreciate a positive rating..

Have a great day,

Brad

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad

Ray it shows you have asked 11 questions and only rated 5 which means we as experts are going to bet you won't rate so it may be harder to get your questions answered in the future.. Without the rating we aren't credited..

Hello?