Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Alarm will not reactivate.. how donyou activate

Customer Question
Alarm will not reactivate....
Alarm will not reactivate. . how donyou activate
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/23/2016
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 1 year ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

What kind of Dodge do you have? What issues are you having with your alarm?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dakota 1997 . . .I hit the door locks at same turning vehicle off and alarm came on. . .cannot reactivate to start vehicle
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you there

On a 1997 Dakota the alarm can only be disarmed by the remote or by starting it with a programmed key... Will it start and have you tried the remote?

Alarm (VTSS) goes off when unlocking doors with a key. Door lock cylinders no longer have door disarm circuits. The security alarm can only be disarmed with a programmed key registered to the vehicle. Once the alarm has been triggered, and valid unlock lock request is required by remote or by inserting a programmed key into the ignition and turning it to the run position. Changes to the door lock disarm functions improved the vehicles security allowing only the vehicles electronic systems to disarm with a valid programmed key.

*Edit*

Yes I'm here..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just bought vehicle . I don't think I have a program key. . had spare made and when made they did not indicate itbwas programmable key.

Can I get the last 8 of your VIN to check and see if you have Security? Also do you have a gray headed key?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
VW123294
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a little plastic remote but looks like for the stereo. . .yeah has Direct tune on it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have black headed key
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Looks like it could have a chip in it but not sure
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am at Walmart on a smart phone . . .is this only solution you have?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still available ornis that it

My system says VIN Invalid.. Can you give me the full VIN?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jn8ar05sxvw123298

Did the spare key start it up? Do you see a security light on in the dash?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Key does not start it and there ievnk apparent security light on
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is no light on. . ..I have to disconnect battery.

I have ran your VIN several times and it says invalid. I would like to check and see if you have security or not but I can't with a invalid VIN.. Can you look in the drivers door or driver side of the windshield and give the VIN shown.. I only need the last 8 digits..

I'm a Dodge dealership technician and I can help you get it started once I get a valid VIN..

Thanks,

Brad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Had to take taxi home, going backto vehicle to verify vin number. Check back as soon as I verify vin.

Sounds good...

Talk then,

Brad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I gave u wrong last digit on Vin. Correct vin is VW123298.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This has to be correct as just took it to smog and Calif. DMV.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would it be possible to reset code if I have DTC code reader?

I ran it again and it still shows invalid.. And this is a Dodge? If so I will need the complete 17 digit VIN and I will tell you exactly what you have..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
JN8AR05SXVW123298 DODGE DAKOTA 1997 TRUCK MANUAL TRANS 6 CYLINDERS CA PLATE 6PRU901
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you available

I ran it thru 2 different systems and it shows invalid. Have you tried a battery disconnect to see if that helps? If you see the security light on then you will need to hit unlock on the remote or insert a programmed key. If you don't have a programmed key and the security light is on you will need to call a mobile locksmith to cut and program you a gray headed SKIM key to start your vehicle..

I hope this helps,

Brad

Do you still need help?

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad

-Brad-
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech