Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We are having a fogging issue in an 09 charger. I have been…

Customer Question
We are having a...

We are having a fogging issue in an 09 charger. I have been seeing many complaining about this. We got an estimate for repair at over $1k. for the recirc door - all labor. Is there another way to fix this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Windshield clears except in the bottom corners. Side glass clears only in a small area in line with the side view mirrors.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/22/2016
Dodge Mechanic: gomi_otaku, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Auto Service Technician

I think they are quoting you the labor cost to pull the dash completely, and remove the HVAC distribution box in order to do it. I have done it in another way, using the flap from the new recirc but leaving the "frame" in place and putting the new flap into the old frame (It would make more sense if you could see what the parts look like) Here is a video of the recirc door issue (clicking) and you can see that the honeycomb area is the "Frame" and the flap is behind it, and the motor would be off to the left on the pivot point of the flap, that is what breaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD7NYlEXhcY

So I have unboilted the frame, pulled the flap out, and installed the new one, put the motor back on, all good. Take the glovebox out for access, just open the glovebox and release the retaining string on the side, compress the rear sides to allow them to open farther past the opening, and let the box drop down and release it from the pivots.