Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2004 Dodge dakota 4.7l code P0171 and P2097 showing too lean

Customer Question

2004 Dodge dakota 4.7l code P0171 and P2097 showing too lean bank one and too rich to bank 1 which seems contradictory. what could be the possible solution(s) to fix the issue(s)?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

The 02 sensors sometimes will set the opposite condition as they only read the oxygen content in the exhaust. Whereas the down stream sensor reads after the cat, (which works more efficiently with an A/F ratio of 14.7:1 and below) and a lean condition can in effect seet a rich trouble code.

.

P2097-DOWN STREAM FUEL TRIM RICH BANK 1

TEST NOTE
This symptom is diagnosed using the test P2096-DOWN STREAM FUEL TRIM LEAN BANK 1

.

If you give me your email address, I can get the test instructions for both codes and put it in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as possible.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks