Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I own a 1998 dakota v6 rwd single cab. I have all the

Customer Question
Hi. I own a 1998...
Hi. I own a 1998 dakota v6 rwd single cab. I have all the sensors, my last being the IAC. Truck still cuts out to near stall, starts to run again like nothing happened.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
1/20/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

Can you share more details on the symptoms (ex. codes) and repair history?

I bought the truck Jan 29th of last year. The truck wasnt running right from the start. I was a bit reluctant at first but I went ahead with the buying. I went online to find out the causes of the stalling. (Took the truck for a test drive and it stalled coming only coming back to the dealer). I did a process of elimination replacing the sensors listed as the causes of stalling, (I.e. cps, iac, tps, O2 sensors, also, fuel relay, auto relay, cap+rotor, plugs, wires, my next on my to do list is to change the PCM. Idid once but it WAS SUPPOSED TO BE programmed to my truck, but when I replaced the old with the new, transmission wouldnt shift. Took a ride less than a mile away and just rpm'd up the whole way not once shifting into gear. My truck is an automatic. Im not at my wits end just yet. Just maybe im missing something, besides wanting to change the PCM. This was a common complaint among dakota owners.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thanks for that information.

I noticed you didn't mention any codes which makes me agree with you that the problem could indeed be a faulty PCM, otherwise there would have probably been a bunch of codes. However, the fact that it runs well at times makes me think of a bad connection somewhere in the harness.

So, this is my advice: before you get a new PCM, make sure you take your time and go through the important connectors, such as those for the PCM, BCM, etc. And don't forget to take a close look at the wiring and connectors going to the crank sensor, MAP and TPS - sometimes an intermittently bad 5 volt reference signal can drive any mechanic crazy.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards.

Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician