Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

2007 grand caravan. No start (cranks well) if it does start,

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. 2007 grand caravan. No start (cranks well) if it does start, runs rough and stalls. New fuel pump and upstream O2 sensor. Had a P0452 code, but thinks its unrelated.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 3.8L engine, 92,000 miles
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure, I can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

My name is Vlad.

P0452 is about emission related device - leak detection pump that known to fail.

This would not cause no start issue.

Check if you have any spark when it cranks but won't start.

If ti is not genuine fuel pump, make sure you get around 60Psi of fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

If you give more information about vehicle repair history or how it all started, it would be great.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, The van has had a P0452 code for some time now (1 year) and the CEL was on because of it, but it operated great until recently. My son got gas at some no-name discount gas station and drove the van home OK. The next morning, it wouldn't start at all, just cranked and cranked. It was very cold that morning and I suspected some water in the gas froze and was blocking the lines. Later, when it warmed up, nothing changed, still would'nt fire. I checked the fuel pump fuse and swapped the fuel pump relay with another one of the same type. Still no start. I had it towed to a shop who replaced the fuel pump motor in the tank. It ran well for 3 days and then wouldn't start again. Still suspicious of the fuel, I disconnected the front fuel rail QD fitting and bypassed the fuel pump relay to pump out the fuel tank into a storage container. It pumped about 4 gallons of gas in about 5 minutes time, telling me the fuel system was good up to that point. I put in 5 gallons of good fresh gas and tried to start again. A few times, it did start but stalled right away. The next day, I started it again. it ran rough for a bit and then smoothed out nice at around 650 RPM. If I tried to give it some gas, it would falter and stall. At that time, my code reader showed the P0452, and the "O2" light on the reader was lit. I then replaced the upstream O2 sensor with a new one. No difference. When it does start, it will idle smooth for a while, but after 2-3 minutes, it will start missing and die. Any throttle above idle will kill it as well. I disconnected the battery for 1/2 an hour to wipe the PCM clean thinking maybe there were corrupt values in memory but again, no difference. It still wont start most of the time, and only at idle when it does. I have a MAP sensor on order, but I'm not sure that will help either. With such gross symptoms, I still only get the P0452 error on my scan tool.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for detailed reply.

We still have know pressure your fuel pump creates not gallons per time. Can you check it and let me know ?

If the O2 sensor you replaced was an aftermarket sensor, I would install original back or replace it with a genuine one. Aftermarket O2 sensor in 90% do not work properly on Chrysler vehicles.

I agree it is strange you only get emission related code so that is why I would like to make sure your fuel pressure is fine.

Also, maybe that suspicious fuel was contaminated and blocked injectors at the inlet port ( top of the injector)? I would check as I have seen something like before

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't see a fitting anywhere to attach a fuel pressure gauge. Under the van maybe ?
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.

If you do not have any test port on the fuel rail, then it requires using adapter #6539 that connects inline between the fuel supply line and the fuel rail.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last night, I tried to start it up to see if any codes would surface. It started right up !! It ran smooth for about 10 minutes at 700 RPM, got rough and died. It would not restart. No codes, again. I'll have to go out and buy a fuel pressure gauge along with the 6539 adapter to test pressure. I'll let you know when I have the number.
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 1 year ago.

Hi, see if you can borrow that fuel pressure testing equipment. That part number is ***** original Chrysler special tool