Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I own a 2012 3500 with DEF. Truck has 89000 miles on it and

Customer Question
Customer: HI ***** *****,...
Customer: HI ***** *****, I own a 2012 3500 with DEF. Truck has 89000 miles on it and recently displayed "service DEF system engine will not start..." Dealer said, DEF was contaminated and estimated repairs at $11,000. As the only operator of the truck, I know that the DEF has never been contaminated. The tank did get low just before the light came on. I would like a second opinion, what do you suggest? Thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Dealer originally claimed that the DEF tank had Diesel fuel in it...(impossible), then told me that the tank had diesel additive in it. I'm not sure how they would have known the difference. I should mention that I have not had great service from this dealer. Truck was running fine when the warning light came on. The DEF tank was low (APX15%) when the light came on, so I topped it off, but the light did not go out.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yup, no problem. I can wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
1/18/2016
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 2 years ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

The DEF fluid has a shelf life and can go bad and you not know it.. If it wa stested and bad then it will all need to be cleaned and new DEF fluid installed and bleed and retest to see if your issues are still there..

OK, I have drained and flushed the tank. Do I need to go further?

You will need to add now fluid and purge the system with a scantool to get all the bad fluid out of the lines and dosing injector so you don't contaminate the system.. Once it's purged then put it all back together and retest to see if your issues are resolved..

Thanks for your help. The truck is in my shop on the lift and I'm going to work on it this afternoon. I'll let you know If I have any further questions.

You are very welcome...

And yes of you need anymore assistance, follow up questions are free of charge..

Thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

I see this question is still open.. Don't forget to rate so I'm compensated for my time..

Have a greatday,

Brad

-Brad-
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech