Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 doge Durango 4.7 hemi, was driving at normal speed and…

Customer Question
2005 doge Durango 4.7 hemi...
2005 doge Durango 4.7 hemi, was driving at normal speed and transmission jerked and will not move in any gear. No codes , the transmission never gave any indication that it was going out. No slipping no rough shift or any signs previously.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
1/17/2016
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Was the transmission fluid replaced before or after it stopped engaging?

Have you checked for fault codes?

With the trans in park are you able to push the vehicle or do you feel a hard mechanical lock?

Did not change any fluid or anything before it stopped working.no indication lights are on and yes you can push it in park. The trans fluid dos not appear to be bad or discolored when we changed it and it's a*****also

When was the fluid replaced opposed to when it stopped moving?

You can push it indefinitely while in park and it never stops moving?

sir you can push it when in park. We changed the fluid and all the filters last night after it stopped functioning. Even removed the body of trans and made a shade tree attempt to ohm out the electrical parts lol
There is a whining noise now when the engine is running and seems to be coming from the trans
Checked the linkage functions and it seems to shift into all gears with no response

If you can push it while in park then there is a mechanical failure in the differential or transmission.

With it in park and the engine off, if you push it do you see the rear driveshaft turning?

With it running and in gear, off the brake, do you see the driveshaft turning?

No with the engine in gear the drive shaft does not turn

I assume it does turn when pushing it then, correct?