Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We we have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 v8 4 wd cab.We have had it…

Customer Question
We we have a 1998...
We we have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 v8 4 wd king cab.We have had it for about 2 1/2 years. The battery went dead and we bought a new battery. The problem we are having is that the battery is draining every night or every other night. We have pulled the positive wire and it runs, so it doesn't seem to be the alternator. What else could be the problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2016
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 2 years ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

It sounds like your issue is that something's being left on causing your battery to drain overnight.. The good news is we see this from time to time and there is an easy way to find what's going on..

The first thing you will need is a multimeter, do you have one and are you going to be doing the repairs?

Talk soon,

Brad

No we don't have a multimeter. Yes we will be doing it ourselves. We have been checking everything to make sure it is turned off. IS there something that can be on that isn't obvious?

Thanks for the reply!!

Ok great, since your going to be doing the repairs you will need to get a multimeter and set it on DCA which is DC current Amps setting and basically turn everything off key out don't even open a door and connect the meter in series between the positive post and the positive terminal.. The spec is .050 milliamps and if it's excessive then start pulling fuses and when it drops start disconnecting the components on that circuit.. Make sense? We usually see the glovebox light, radio causing it most of the time...

I hope this helps,

Brad

thank you

You are very welcome!!

And don't forget to rate so I'm compensated for my time..

Have a great weekend,

Brad