Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

My truck stalls every now and then the lights dim and dies

Customer Question

My truck stalls every now and then the lights dim and dies but it starts right back up until I come to a stop and it dies again.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Welcome,I have been a master mechanic for over 35 years and am happy to help you with this.

I have a real good idea of whats wrong but would you happen to have a 12 volt DC volt meter handy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

I understand.

First off you need one to chase this down. Its real easy.

Harbor freight sells one for 10 bucks and parts stores are just a tad higher/

see this link

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/harbor%20frieght%2012%20volt%20meter.PNG

Once you get it connect it to the battery and set the DC volt scale to 0-20 range and with the engine running, lights off it should read between 14-15 volts.

Then turn on all accessories inc headlights and see what the volts drop to/ if they drop below 13.1 the alternator is at fault and we see a LOT of these so i can pretty much guess from your description that the alternator is failing and needs repalced.

If you would rather talk on the phone for a couple of extra bucks just accept the offer i will send.

We can move much quicker and get this handled a lot sooner. I work from home and the shop and can get back to you whenever you call or if it works good, we can continue to test. Let me know please.
I get notified soon after you post so it wont be long before i can reply.
Thanks for trusting us with your issues.
LJ

This will still save you at least 4 times what it would cost for a shop to diagnose :-)