rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

My 2002 neon is idling up to 2000-3000 rpm in neutral while

Customer Question

My 2002 neon is idling up to 2000-3000 rpm in neutral while rolling. Normal idle when stopped... I'm stumped.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident
we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill
level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to
get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

The idle speed motor can be defective or you have a vacuum leak. You can try cleaning the throttle body and resetting the idle motor by disconnecting the battery. Here's some instructions how to do that.

Thanks, Ron