bill
bill, dodge master tech
Experience:  25 years with dodge drivability and electrical expert
5203640

I have a 06 dodge Dakota 3.7 auto 2 wd I had a miss fire on

Customer Question

I have a 06 dodge Dakota 3.7 auto 2 wd I had a miss fire on cyl 1 and I swapped the coils around and still missed fired on cyl 1 check it out and found the ECM to be bad what I want to know if I got a new ECM from dodge can I just plug in and go or do I have TO HAVE DODGE PUT IN ON THERE COMPUTER
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

new ecm for your dodge MUST be programmed at the dealer OR any shop that has the ability to program automotive computers, since around 04 we ship all modules BLANK and they must be programmed with the correct info based on the vin, I have heard of some manufacturers rebuilding the ecm and inputting all the needed info BUT aftermarket reman ecm's are of spotty quality at best

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long should that take them to do that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
labor time
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

my dealer gets about 1 hour to flash and program a blank ecm 1.5 if we have to install it as well, you MAY get a break if you're a good parts or service customer with the dealer, we give a discounted labor rate to good parts customers and a discount on the time to good service customers BUT not every dealer does this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you !
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

your welcome please remember this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service, any further questions please ask I will do my best to assist