Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2015 Dodge Caravan Dash illumination Control? I have a base

Customer Question
2015 Dodge Caravan Dash illumination Control? I...
2015 Dodge Caravan
Dash illumination Control?
I have a base model van. When running the ultra bright dash light comes on and cannot be adjusted, until you turn on the park or headlights. Need to find a way to bypass this so I can dim or turn off completely when running. How can I do this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
1/5/2016
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 2 years ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

Do you have it set on AUTO headlights? If so then adjust it to manual on and you should be able to roll the illumination dim to bright..

Talk soon,

Brad

Base model no auto option

Can I get the last 8 digits of your VIN?

FR713808
Can you tell me what wire I can cut and do like a manual toggle. I have tried all wires on the switch with no luck. Asked the dealer if they could fix my issue with their computer, they said no.

Sorry for the delay(Lunch)

I attached a wiring diagram and here is the operation of the dimmer switch.

OPERATION

The dimmer module uses a single resistor multiplexed output for each switch thumbwheel to control the many functions and features it provides. The switch receives a clean ground from the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also known as the Cab Compartment Node/CCN) on a multifunction switch MUX return circuit. It then provides outputs to the EMIC on a panel lamps dimmer signal circuit to control panel dimmer and interior lighting functions, or on a dimmer environmental lighting circuit to control ambient (halo) lighting functions.

On vehicles equipped with a remote manual headlamp leveling system, the dimming module also receives a battery voltage input on a park/tail/running lamps feed circuit whenever the exterior lighting is turned ON. It then provides outputs to the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) on a headlamp leveling switch to module signal circuit to control the headlamp leveling function.

The dimmer module illumination circuit receives a path to ground at all times through an instrument panel ground circuit. The illumination level is controlled by a Pulse-Width Modulated (PWM) output received from the EMIC on a panel lamps driver circuit. The EMIC controls this output based upon the panel lamps dimmer signal circuit input from the dimmer module.

The dimmer module operates as follows:

• Ambient (Halo) Lighting Control - On vehicles so equipped, the right thumbwheel on the dimmer module is rotated to the ambient DEFEAT or one of the six ambient dimmer detent positions to control the ambient (halo) lighting level. The dimmer module provides the appropriate resistor multiplexed output to the EMIC over the dimmer environmental lighting circuit. The EMIC reads and responds to this input by providing the appropriate control outputs through internal HSDs over the rail lamp feeds driver circuit.
  • Headlamp Leveling Control - On vehicles so equipped, the right thumbwheel on the dimmer module is rotated to the 0, 1 or 2 detent positions to provide the appropriate resistor multiplexed output to the TIPM over the headlamp leveling switch to module signal circuit. The TIPM reads and responds to this input by providing the appropriate control outputs to the headlamp leveling motors.
  • Interior Lighting Control - The left thumbwheel on the dimmer module is rotated to the dome DEFEAT, dome ON, PARADE mode, or one of the six panel dimmer detent positions to control the interior courtesy/dome and panel lamps. The dimmer module provides the appropriate resistor multiplexed output to the EMIC over the panel lamps dimmer signal circuit. The EMIC reads and responds to this input by providing the appropriate control outputs through internal HSDs over the courtesy lamps, panel lamps and reading lamps driver circuits, and by sending appropriate electronic dimming level messages to other electronic modules over the CAN data bus.

The dimmer module as well as the hard wired inputs and outputs of the module may be diagnosed using conventional diagnostic tools and procedures. Refer to the appropriate wiring information.

Does this help?

No not really. I only have one dimmer wheel. Not like the diagram you sent .
Hello
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you have only one rheostat on the dimmer panel then it's for instrument cluster lighting, the second would be for the optional halo lighting.

Dimming of the instrument cluster lighting is only possible when the headlamps are turned on. There isn't a provision to dim the instrument cluster display for daytime use. If you need to dim the cluster during the day for some reason then the headlamps would need to be turned on and the dimmer used. The dimmer that you do have can be used to lower the intensity of the lighting but the headlamps or park lamps need to be on to do so.

I do a lot of surveillance in the van at night. I need to be able to dim or kill all the dash lights with the head lights and park lights off. I understand how it's set to work I just need to know how to bypass it if possible. Is there a wire or wires I could cut and set up a manual toggle. If so where and how?

If you set up a switch to interrupt power on the pink/light green wire at pin 20 of instrument cluster connector 1 that would take down the whole cluster, but if the instrument cluster loses communication while the key is on then the headlamps and wipers will come on for safety. The steering column module and headlamp switch inputs go through the instrument cluster, if the TIPM doesn't see the cluster communicating it will default the lights and wipers on.

I'm just s.o.l.?

There really isn't a way to dim or turn off the instrument cluster without having the headlamps turned on. Putting a switch on every park and headlamp circuit would allow you to turn on the headlamp switch, turn off the lights and then dim the cluster, but that would require switching six circuits.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08