Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

My 07 Sprinter has a chronic problem with the turbo going

Customer Question
into safe mode....
My 07 Sprinter has a chronic problem with the turbo going into safe mode.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
1/3/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 1 year ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What do you mean by safe mode?

Have you checked it for codes? If not that is the best starting point here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Turbo shuts down and usually doesn't trigger the engine light. If I stop, turn off the engine and then re-start, the turbo resets itself.

Have you checked the codes? Its most likely a leak in the turbo plumbing but I would check codes before wasting time checking all the plumbing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Within the last 6 weeks we have replaced the turbo, swirl actuator, egr valve, rear wheel tone ring, plus other things. Code comes up just saying lack of boost.

It doesnt give you a number? What kind of scan tool are you using?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know the number. My mechanic (s) see it.

Have you tested the turbo hoses for a leak?

Did the old turbo and new turbo have the same classification/correction codes stamped on them?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tomorrow a mechanic is going to use a smoke machine to kook for that, but doesn't really think that is the problem since the shutdown is so intermittent. A year ago my engine light came on and it was for the diesel particulate filter. Nobody new what to do about it. It stayed on for a week then went away. Could that be a source of the problem?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Turbos were the same.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can find out the code number tomorrow.

I dont think that would have anything to do with it. Without knowing the EXACT description of the code or code number I wont guarantee it though.

So you personally verified those numbers on the turbo were the same?

Then I think its safe to say you have a leak in the turbo plumbing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The code comes up PO299
There are no leaks in the turbo system.

How did you check for leaks? I still suspect a leak for what its worth.

That code is not valid on the sprinter.. it is sometimes flagged by a cheap code reader but it shouldnt be. I would get a decent scan tool and see what the real code is.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That code comes up for the Sprinter even on YouTube. It shows all the different places that can cause the problem. The leak test was done with a high- pressure smoke machine. Showed no leaks. Right now my guess is the mass air-flow sensor.

Perhaps. That doesnt make it any more valid of a code.

Regardless that code does indicate a leak. If its not the hoses I would suspect the EGR cooler.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only common denominator I can find is HEAT. We drove on the interstate half the day yesterday with no problems, even down-shifting to get over the hills. The problem started as soon as the temp hit 81 and we got in stop & go traffic.. the turbo shut down 4 or 5 times before we got to our destination.

Is it ambient temp or engine temp that changes it?

Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner