Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

My ram overheated and shut down now iy wont start backup it

Customer Question

Customer: my ram overheated and shut down now iy wont start backup it turns over i havegood i spark and fuel
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the radiator blew and overheated and the motor quit now all it does is turn over but wont start i have fuel and spark richard
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: i will text later going out for supper thank you
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

an engine needs fuel spark and compression, have you tested the compression?

how long did you run the ram while overheating or in the HOT zone

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 minutes till i could pullover safe then it quit
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

ok that's long enough to do some damage you need to check the compression on the engine first

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

you didn't specify what engine you have BUT it is safe to say it has aluminum heads and if you ran it 5 min (as far as you noticed) it was running hot far longer than that and aluminum is NOT happy when run beyond it's normal operating temp, look for 2 low cylinders next to each other, that would indicate a blown head gasket, BUT you should also figure out why it overheated in the first place