Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

2002 Dakota 3.9 l crank no start,put spark tester on and if

2002 Dakota 3.9 l crank no start,put spark tester on and if I crank for 20 seconds I get literally one spark and that's it,,,,,,removed plug from coil and have power on one side when cranking but nothing on other wire,when unplugged anyway,,,,,also pulled up pids for crank sensor and goes up too 157 and cam sensor only goes up to 27 when cranking

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer!. This is Ed.

Questions to start...

What's the story on your Dakota? Did it die while driving? Fail to start one morning? Been sitting in storage for a long time?

Was the problem intermittent at some time? Or is this the first time it's acted up?

When you found one spark (and one spark only) where were you testing? At the coil itself or at a plug wire?

What was the intensity of the spark? Did it seem normal? Weak?

And since you've seen PIDs, chances are good that you were able to check for codes. I'd expect something to show up. What did you find?

Ed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Came out in morning and wouldn't start,pulled coil wire off of cap n ckd at cap on coil wire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Smell fuel

Ooooo. Good info. All good info, thanks.

Sounds like you need a coil.

You're apparently getting fuel injector pulse... which requires cam and crank sensor signals AND that they be in-sync.

You've got ASD output to the coil positive terminal, which positively shows that the PCM (engine controller) is awake and has recognized cam and crank signals. (This is a cascade sort of thing, bear with me)

I believe the coil has suffered an insulation failure on the secondary side of the unit. If it was a primary-side failure, you'd have a coil control circuit failure code, which hasn't been set. The coil is apparently good on the 12v side, but the high-tension (spark) side is shorting back internally to ground.

Stuff a new coil on your 3.9 and I think you'll be burning gas again tomorrow. Holding the accelerator wide open to clear excessive fuel may be needed.

Ed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try in am n let u know ty

Sounds good. It's all I can ask of you!

Ed