Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I'm looking at a 2004 dodge 2500 Cummings. The issue the

Customer Question
truck has is it won't...
I'm looking at a 2004 dodge 2500 Cummings. The issue the truck has is it won't start without starting fluid. But once started it will idle with a bit of a lope. When the pedal is hit it will automatically jump up to 2100 rpm and hang there jumping up and down about staying close to that range. Their is no black or blue smoke coming out of the exhaust. It is throwing codes for the injector pump, injectors and clutch fan. In order to stop the revving you have to shut the vehicle off.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/1/2016
Dodge Mechanic: Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner replied 2 years ago
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What codes is it setting?

That I can't remember, cause the truck is not in my possession. But it called out the fan clutch, injector fuel pump, injectors and lamp out.

Alright. Without the truck you cant verify anything. What are you looking for here?

Let me see if I can get the codes tomorrow and I can get back with you. I have researched the symptoms in some forums. But none come up with any solutions.

I cant speak for forums but if you can give me the information I request of you and do the testing I ask for I can give you a solution. I will be standing by when you get the codes. Just reply to this same question. It will stay open as long as needed for follow ups even after you rate my service. Talk to you when you get the codes.

the codes that came up, using the key on and of three times where 0483, 0148, 2509, 0480

Its probably got the wiring tore up to the fan clutch. Also it could possibly have an issue with the fuel transfer pump and batteries. I would start by fixing the fan wiring then clear the codes and see what comes back.. when there is a short on one of the inputs to the PCM it can cause some whacky things so you dont want to go any further on it before fixing the fan.

That would also be the cause of the no start without ether and the slight depress of the accelerate and the engine revving high and hanging there?

It COULD be. Without some further testing I cant say that for sure though. Do you want to test it? I really suggest fixing the wiring issue first so you dont waste any money on skewed test results.

How do I go about testing it? I noticed a new fan motor is not to expensive, would it be a good idea to replace it and eliminate that being part of the issue?

If the wiring is damaged yes replace it. Once you get it replaced or if the wiring isnt damaged let me know.

Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner