Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Dodge Enthusiast
Experience:  Technical-minded multi-skilled auto mechanic with over 10 years’ experience in all aspects of repairing, maintaining and servicing a diverse range of automobiles.
18042535

I have a 3.5L 2010 Dodge Charger & lately it has been making

Customer Question

I have a 3.5L 2010 Dodge Charger & lately it has been making a clicking sound plusI kmow knowburns oil cause I've been told. I've noticed black/grey smoke coming out from the muffler when I warm up my car in the mornings. What can possibly be going on?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ryan-CTech replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, Sorry to hear your having problems. The blackish blue smoke is usually a combination of Fuel and Oil. When Oil seeps into the cylinder and is burned by the engine is produces a Blue smoke. When Fuel is not burning properly it produces a Black smoke.

There are a couple of things that can cause oil the leak into the cylinders.

1. Worn Piston Rings

2. Leaking Valve Seals

3. Leaking Head Gasket

4. A Cracked Cylinder Head

If your vehicle is only smoking when first started in the morning I would say you have leaking valve stem seals. The oil leaking over time has also probably worn the spark plugs causing it not to burn fuel properly. There are plenty of additives that can help stop valve stem leaks. So with that and a new set of spark plugs you should be all set.

I also recommend you can your engine oil when adding a new additive.

I hope you found this information helpful. And i thank you in advance for a positive rating :)

Please feel free to ask me anything :)

Expert:  Ryan-CTech replied 1 year ago.

Take care

Expert:  Ryan-CTech replied 1 year ago.

Please don't hesitate to ask any follow up questions you may have. We are always here to help. And speaking of help, a Positive Rating helps me as an Expert so thank you in advance for your feedback. Have a great day! -Cheers