Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I'm dealing with a condenser fan problem in my 04 dodge ram

Customer Question
Hello, I'm dealing with a...
Hello, I'm dealing with a condenser fan problem in my 04 dodge ram 1500, I've narrowed it down to the relay, there's 12v getting to terminal 85 and 14.3 volts at #86 , i thought the 14 v at 86 seemed a little high, the fan works fine if I manually switch over the relay, I've also tried switching out the relay for another still nothing
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
12/27/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 2 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Do you have a wiring diagram for this circuit? Do you need one? Can I start by getting your VIN?

I have a diagram but probably wouldn't hurt to send another,
1d7hu18d24j127147

Thank you for the VIN

What is the issue with the condensor fan? Does it not run?

That's correct, doesn't run unless I manually switch over the relay, i just installed a new pcm to fix an alternator problem I was having hoping it would also take care of the fan, the alternator is working now but the fan still won't run
Pin 85 and 30 are reading 12v and 86
.2 v with ignition on
With truck running there reading 14v
86 is reading. .2vWhen I put the positive lead of the multimeter on the on the positive battery terminal and negative lead on pin 86 it reads 12 to 14 volts Wether ac is running or not

That is normal. All of those readings are good.

Why isn't the relay switching over to turn on the fan?

Either the relay is bad or there is a bad connection at the relay

The relay needs two powers and one ground to activate. Once this happens, the relay will click and send power out of the fourth wire down to the fan.

I switched out the relay, and Im getting the control juice to switch the relay, relay still isnt switching

Then something is being overlooked. Something simple

Are you sure that pin 86 is getting a ground on it from the PCM?

How would I test that?

With your voltmeter. Based on what your telling me, you already did and it checks out ok, unless you did not do the test right.. which is possible.

I would leave the relay plugged in and ground the signal wire coming from the PCM going to the back side of the relay (back side of the PDC) and see if the relay clicks and the fan comes on.

What I'm confused about is it grounds out at 14v when hooked to the positive terminal of battery wether the Ac is running or not , I would think it shouldn't ground if the ac were turned off

I agree. It sounds like your not doing the test correctly

Try manually grounding that circuit with the relay plugged in

Ok, I'll get back to u

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

The relay still won't switch over when manually grounding it,
With the relay in position the black lead on multimeter reads 14v on the control current and the red lead is
reading only .4v

Maybe we should talk on the phone. It might be easier.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

Please let me know and I will be happy to help!

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

.

I'm going to run some more tests sometime in the near future

Sounds like a plan. Meanwhile, please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit for providing you with accurate information in a timely manner. We can still continue this conversation even after you rate my answer. Thank you very much!

.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician