Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2007 dodge Dakota pick up with 106.000 miles. My

Customer Question
lifter just started tapping loudly...
I have a 2007 dodge Dakota pick up with 106.000 miles. My lifter just started tapping loudly. Am I in trouble???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
12/26/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Ron Z., - Dodge Tech - replied 2 years ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -

Unfortunately, when there is a loud tapping or ticking noise, this usually is not a good sign. This means that there is not enough oil getting to these items to lubricate them properly. This can be due to a few different things, but the first thing to check here is the engine oil level. If the oil level is correct, then the actual engine oil pressure will need to be checked. The oil pressure can be tested with the use of an oil pressure testing tool. If the oil pressure does not meet specs, there is a problem internal of the engine, such as a failing oil pump or a clog in the system. So, to answer the question "am I in trouble" - it all depends on how long the engine has been run in this condition. Try not to drive the vehicle too far or too long until the problem is addressed. If the internal parts have been run too long without proper lubrication, there's a strong chance they will not recover and will need to be replaced. But this definitely is a major problem. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here! If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating using the stars at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my time. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate.

Hi Linda! I noticed this thread was still open and wanted to check in with you to see if there were any other questions you had on this issue? Anything else I can help you with on this?

..

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -