Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 headlights won't come on. Both sides

Customer Question
neither high or low beam...
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 headlights won't come on. Both sides neither high or low beam. Computer system doesn't indicate bulb out on dash
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dodge
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bulbs have been replaced also
12/24/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 1 year ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Amedee. VIN is 1d7rv1gt0as113487

Hello and thank you for the VIN. One minute while I pull up your vehicle.

The most likley cause of this condition would be a bad TIPM located under the hood provided the headlight switch is working correctly. You might want to try and disconnect the battery cables from the battery and hold them together for a few minutes and then reconnect them back up to the battery and see if that does the trick before replacing the TIPM. It may just do the trick. If not, I would suspect a bad TIPM. Here is a wiring diagram.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm confused. I have power going to the headlight it just won't come on. And this would intail changing out my entire fuse box to push the current simply into the bulb itself?

Which wire has power going to the headlights?

If you have power going to them and the bulbs were replaced but the headlights are still not coming on, then the headlight assemblies themselves must be bad

Have you checked for a good ground going to the headlights as well?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There's a white w/ blue strip that has power and a white w/Green also with power with lights in on position. My tester won't test the ground for some reason

The white with blue stripe is the power wire for the low beam.

The white with green stripe is the power wire for the high beam.

The other wire going to that side is the ground. That would be the only possible cause left. Chances are the TIPM is not providing a ground to that circuit..

Or the socket itself is simply bad..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would that coinside with the passenger side acting the same way?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sounds like a bad ground regardless tho

It would make sense that the TIPM is not sending a ground to both sides at the same time.. unless of course both sockets when bad at the same time..

I would try grounding that wire and see if the lights come on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I was just looking for clarity on the tipm not working. I'll have to try grounding that in the am to confirm. Thanks Amedee

Your welcome! I am glad I can help! Please dont forget to rate. Have a great night!!

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

Please let me know and I will be happy to help!

.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician