Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Name is ***** *****. 1994 Dakota. Truck will die

Customer Question
Customer: Name is ***** *****...
Customer: Name is ***** *****. 1994 Dakota. Truck will die intermittently. Looked at many things and the following I cannot figure out. I have power on the ASD relay, pin 51 from the PCM. When I pull the fuel pump relay PCM wire 51 connects to ground. I can verify this with an ohm meter that it is grounded. My guess is that the PCM is bad.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What do you need? I have gone thru all the sensors, checked continuity, and all that made sense to me.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: got lots of time.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
12/22/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 2 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Would you be willing to speak on the phone? Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

1B7GG23X0RW116940
phone is(###) ###-####

Please accept my offer and call me now

Dale, When the engine stalls, does it start right back up or does it take some time to start and run again. If it just cranks over and does not fire up, do you know if it is missing spark or fuel?

This is where is is weird. It does not start up. If I go and unplug the two wire connector at the coil and plug it back in it starts.

Thank you for that information. So does the ignition coil get power while cranking when it does not start?

When it did not start I ohmed the wire from the ASD relay and it has continuity. I checked the ASD relay coil and it has power where it should. Strange thing is that when I pull the fuel pump relay , the pin 51 wire to the PCU changes from power to ground.

Can you tell me what color wire changes at the fuel pump relay?

Not at the truck right now, but the schematic says dark blue/yellow

That is the control side for the ASD relay and fuel pump relay.

That is the wire from the PCU to the ASD. I know, it does not make sense.

IT will change from power to ground and ground to power as the PCM is trying to activate it. This is normal

OK, I learned something. When I first started on the truck, the coil was bad. Replaced it and it started right up. Stopped again and I replaced the stator pickup and it started. Now it runs for hours or a few minutes. Kinda like the old days when the control module would get hot and a transistor would open and then close when it cooled down. I am guess a module.

I understand. You need to see if your missing spark or fuel when this happens.

Checked the fuel pump and it has the correct pressure when cranking. I did not check the volume.That only leaves spark.

Ok, so have we checked the inputs to the ignition coil? If so, how and what were the results?

I check to see if there was voltage there and there was. Did not check for anything else.

Ok, well the ignition coil gets pulsed to ground by the computer. It cannot produce spark unless it has this ground signal trigger.

How do I check that?

You can use a test light or a lab scope. I assume you dont have a lab scope so a test light would be best. Hook up the test light aligator clip to the battery positive and touch the tip of the test light to the trigger side of the coil and it should flicker as the engine is being cranked over. Keep in mind it will be a very dim flicker so do this in a dark garage so it is easy to see

You could have a faulty new ignition coil or a bad engine speed sensor (crank sensor or cam sensor inside the distributor) or the ECM may not even be awake so be sure to check that as well.

Ok. thanks, ***** ***** the bay area today?

Nice and humid. :)

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Merry Christmas!!

Better than the 12 degrees and ice I am in. Thanks for the suggestions. Same to you

Your welcome

Please dont forget to rate. You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page.

Please keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation even after you rate my answer. I will be here if you have any further questions.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician