Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just read your thread about the P1652 error code, and I…

Customer Question
I just read your...

I just read your thread about the P1652 error code, and I indeed have a short somewhere. (Thank goodness the ECU isn't bad!) That being said I literally bought the truck (2005 Ram 2500 4x4, 5.9 Cummins) 3 days ago. The error code only appeared when I replaced some of the bulbs in the gauge cluster, so I'm thinking the short is somewhere in the cab, but I have no idea how the comm wire is routed? Any advice or guidance you could provide on how to track the short down would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, ***** *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Um...the check engine light is on, I can't clear it with my scan tool, so I'm fairly sure there's a wiring problem. Also, I noticed the rear doors are working (door locks, speakers etc...) so I can only assume that the wires inside the rubber boot have failed as well. I think I've got a few electrical gremlins to track down.

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

If you can help me trace this short down quickly, I'll gladly pay the $18 fee.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
12/18/2015
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P1652 sets when the PCI communication bus circuit is shorted to ground. This could be a failure in any module or a wiring issue.

If the problem started as a result of having the instrument cluster out I would first suspect the problem is in the cluster or possibly pinched wiring behind it or bent terminals in the connector shorting the bus to another circuit.

Does communication come back with the cluster unplugged?

I haven't checked to see if there's communication with the cluster unplugged. But, I just repaired all the rear door wires, all but 4 were still good, and the check engine light has gone out. However, even though the light is out, I still can't clear the code...it's kinda weird. I'll take the dash apart and see if I can connect and erase the code with the cluster disconnected. I get the distinct feeling there are more than a few electrical gremlins running around this particular truck.

Let me know how it goes!

Sorry for the delay, but Christmas and family sort of derailed my repair plans until today. Ok, I tested the PCI Bus circuit for a short to ground via the radio wire, and found that it too read a short. I then dis-connected the gauge cluster and miraculously the short went away. (verified by both the radio and gauge cluster's white/violet bus wire) I hooked my scan tool up to the system and was able to erase the 1652 error code (with the gauge cluster removed), but it would immediately re-appear, but at least it appeared to be communicating with the vehicles computer. I can only assume the code re-appears because the system is unable to completely reset because the gauge cluster was not in the loop? (Or does this indicate there may be another problem?) That being said, it appears the gauge cluster is what contains my com bus short...now I just need to find a replacement. (I tried to take it apart and trace it, but the gauge needles are pressed onto the circuit board and I would have destroyed the cluster had I gone any further.)

The instrument cluster will definitely need to be replaced if you saw the short was present with it plugged in and it goes away with it unplugged. Make sure there aren't any terminals bent that are shorting to the incorrect pins when plugged in, if ok then go ahead and replace the cluster.

yeah, unfortunately I checked all the pins when I had the cluster out, they were all good. So, that means I'm now looking for a cluster. Out of curiosity, will a new cluster need to be programmed in? (Or will a used one have to be reprogrammed?). I'm also assuming whether new or used, the mileage will no longer be accurate?Thanks again for all the advice!

There isn't any programming that would need to be done but if you installed a used one then you'd need to go through the proper legal procedure to document the actual mileage and what is shown on the replacement. This would be done through the license branch, they'd need to see proof of the existing mileage, what's shown on the replacement, and then a label would be permanently affixed to the door jamb.