Dodgerench
Dodgerench, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30+ years Dodge/Chrysler exp., ASE Master with L1 certification. Driveability/ combustion specialist
4486286

05 magnum rt hemi instrument lights do not light up or

Customer Question

05 magnum rt hemi instrument lights do not light up or adjust with the dimmer switch
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have not checked for any blown fuses at all this needs done first.If any fuses are found to be blown at all the affected fuses will need replaced to see if this corrects the fault.If you need info on what fuses to check let me know.If you have already checked and made sure all fuses are o.k. let me know as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

checking the fuses was an obvious thing to do which was already done= no blown fuse found. the back light illumination problem is common on 2005 magnum, i was hoping for a more technical answer about this common problem. jeff

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Dodgerench replied 1 year ago.

Goood morning, Jeff. This is Ed.

Like most electrical devices these days, instrument cluster backlighting may have become a bit more complicated than it needed to be. But with that said, I think we should be able to narrow the problem down to a couple of components or power inputs.

Your cluster uses what is described as a single electro-luminescent lamp that accomplishes backlighting, instead of several individual bulbs or LEDs. It uses a 12v DC input to a transformer onboard the cluster that steps power up to 80 volts AC, so if either the lamp or the transformer go out... they all go out.

Input voltage to the cluster comes from four sources, but it's not specified which one is tied to your cluster backlighting. Since the fuses are located at opposite ends of the car, I'll make mention of them, even though you've likely been through that already.

IN THE TRUNK, you'll find Fuses 14 (10A) and Fuse Breaker #1 to be hot all the time. Fuse 29 (5A) is powered up with the key in the RUN position, so it's not likely the illumination circuit.

UNDER THE HOOD, you have only Fuse 5 (25A) to check and it's also a B+ (always hot) source.

Next, do you see background illumination on other panel components, like HVAC or switches when the headlamps are turned on? If nothing at all lights up in the dash, or if your VFD -- sources like the odometer -- fail to dim and be controlled by the dimmer wheel when the lights are turned on, I'd expect that the dimmer switch on your headlamp control switch unit has failed. A single input to the cluster is sent from the dimmer, then recognized and relayed to other systems for control of switch backlighting outside of the cluster unit. If you find backlighting or dimming of radio VFD info to occur, it positively shows that the dimming signal is at least being received by the cluster.

Check these few things out and let me know what you find, Jeff. It's my feeling that your headlamp switch is the problem source, but we'll know more shortly.

Ed