Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

2006 dodge 2500 replaced MF switch, replaced motor, have

Customer Question

2006 dodge 2500 replaced MF switch, replaced motor, have very very slow wiper movement that works with assistance. No intermittent. everything on MF switch works fine. Where is the magic black box that controls the wipers? and what is it called
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one day the wipers went on FAST and I mean FAST. Turned them off, turned them back on they were fine for a minute or two, then happened again. They deteriorated to the point that they don't work at all. After replacing the multifunction with in steering wheel column, didn't fix it. Replaced wiper motor, didn't fix. No relays or fuses. I know there is a control module somewhere. Need help finding it. All wires look great.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The windshield wipers are controlled by the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) which mounts just in front of the battery and in most cases this system has the ability to set and store fault codes when the wiper fail. It would be very helpful if you can scan the system and see what the fault code is that setting. If you can get the scan done and post back with the fault code I will try and help you determine the cause. I have also enclosed the wiring diagram in the link below for reference. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Wipers%20Dec%2014.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There has not been a check engine light on at any time giving me a reason to check the codes. would it throw a code without giving a check engine light? I'm thinking its grounded somewhere. It moves but not without assistance and only in fast mode.
Not happy that the whole TIPM would need to be replaced for just the wipers. $$$$$ Know what I mean?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you flash the TIPM by removing battery cable and reconnecting? Or does it have to be flashed/coded by the stealership oops mean dealership after replacing with new one.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The TIPM can set codes and not cause the check engine light to come on. You can not flash the TIPM by simply removing the cables. You can however re-boot it by removing both battery cables and touching them together for a few seconds. You may want to try that as well. If after doing so and the problem remains then the next steps would be to scan the module and see if there are fault codes setting. You will need a full scan tool to retrieve codes from the TIPM.