sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I smelled electrical when I turned on my A/C the other day

Customer Question

I smelled burnt electrical when I turned on my A/C the other day and now my A/C will not work.
My a/c compressor is working.
fan blower motor is working and working correctly.
recirculation door working.
when you turn the fan on you smell burny electical.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming airflow is correct but the air doesn't blow cold. If that's the case then issue has to be with the blend door, assuming the a/c system is actually working correctly. It's possible that you could have a bad blend door actuator or a control head issue but a broken door would be more likely.

If you're getting a burning smell when the blower motor is turned on then odds are it's coming from the motor itself.

Is one a/c line at the firewall very cold?

Do you have a dual or single zone system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blend door is working. When you turn the heat on the door moves up and when cold it moves down.
Yes one line is cold it starts to freeze.
single climate control.

What did you do to inspect the blend door?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the glovebook door and could seee the actuator move the door.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
glovebox door. when you turn the heat on the it gets hot and when you turn the a/c on the door moves back. and the air gets cooler but like it should with a/c.

That's the recirculation door. The blend doors can't be seen without removing the dash and partially disassembling the heater box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh, hum, is that a common problem? could freon smell like burnt wiring?

Refrigerant has it's own distinct smell but if you're not familiar with it then you may mistake it for an electrical smell.

Yes, it was common for blend doors to break on these, as well as mode and recirculation doors. There was a revision to the heater box and actuator drive couplers to help prevent doors from breaking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no recall tho? The dealer will probably want $1,000 to fix it?

Recalls are for safety or emissions issues as mandated by the government so this isn't something that would fit the criteria. Worst case scenario of the heater box and doors had to be replaced would be around $1,000 depending on local parts and labor prices.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no way i can bypass it and make the air on a/c until I fix it?

You'd have to remove the dash and disassemble the heater box enough to move the door by hand, and if the door is broken you'd have to come up with a way to fix it in place after moving it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
k, ty

You're welcome and good luck with your truck!