sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2003 3500 cummins that only the low beam on the

Customer Question

hi, i have a 2003 3500 cummins that only the low beam on the passenger side works and the high beam on the driver side works. nether of the front blinkers work and only one of the back ones work. all bulbs are good.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem could be wiring or the front control module but it's almost surely an issue in the integrated power module. This problem is usually caused by a poor power feed to the FCM.

What you'll need to do is remove the FCM from the side of the IPM and locate pins 3, 4, 6 and 7. Find their mates on the IPM side and then using an incandescent test light or a bulb and jumper wires test for power. If any power feeds are missing with no blown fuses, or one or more power feeds are weak, then you have an internal failure of the IPM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
before the lights stared actting up i noticed the lamp out display would come on once in awhile but would go off when i used my blinkers. then it would stay off for awhile then do it again. so you think i need a new fuse box?

Yes, I'm quite sure the problem is in the IPM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that something that can be repaired or do i have to get a new one? IPM is the fuse box right?

Yes, IPM is the correct name for the fuse box.

The correct repair would be to replace it however on some cases I've been able to open them up, find the corroded spot on the circuit board and repair it with solder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi, the IPM part # ***** it have to match? what years have the same IPM?

Yes, the part number would need to be the same. They all look similar but it shows no other years interchangeable with 2003.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know what the part # *****? thanks

Do you have the VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is ( 3D7MU48C13G862970 )

The part number is *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The one that is in there is P56045765AI

That's not the actual part number. The part number is 68005474AA or AB.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dose it have the wrong IPM in it

That's not a valid part number and isn't used to identify it. It was an assembly number used in manufacturing and there isn't any documentation in the field for it because it's not how replacement parts are identified. The correct part number for a replacement is 68005474AA or AB.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am looking at used ones on eBay and they all start with part# *****

I gave you the part number out of the factory parts catalog based on your VIN.