Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Whitekeith98
, I have a 2011 Durango that had bad

Customer Question

Customer: whitekeith98
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 2011 Durango that had bad rocker arm on #5 that damaged camshaft. Dealer replaced on under warranty. Dealer forgot to tighten lower radiator hose so on way home hose comes off and drains the fluid with engine shutting down due to coolant loss. Dealer fixes the problem. Now the engine temp is no longer constant at 195 but fluctuates from 195 to 225. Engine is 5.7l hemi. Had to fill the overflow twice since repair to hose.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Okay
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is an oil sheen in the overflow when I add fluid.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

How long has it been since the repair and approximately how much coolant has been added since then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 week for the camshaft and two days ago for the coolant loss. I added 5 quarts of fluid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine temp gauge reached 300 and engine shut down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Temp reached 300 when the bottom hose came off. Vehicle was towed back to dealer.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

If you ran the engine until it died with the coolant loss it is VERY LIKELY that you have a blown head gasket or warped cylinder head. At this time, I recommend to take it back promptly to the dealer and explain the situation. To me, it seems that if they were responsible for leaving a hose loose that they should be held accountable for the repairs.

Being that you let it run until it shut down leaves you partly responsible for this failure. The temperature gauge and/or warning lamp would have illuminated well before the engine would have shut down. It would have been highly recommended for you to pull over and shut down the engine as soon as the warning lamp and chime activated to avoid engine damage.

At this point I would take it back as soon as possible before any further damage can occur. Since it should still be under warranty you should have little or no issues in getting it covered under the warranty.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't stop the vehicle because I was in rush hour traffic on a freeway and had to work my way off to an exit. Otherwise I would have caused an accident. Not so worried about repairs as I have dodge extended warranty plus remaining power train. Dealer acknowledged fault for the hose and coolant loss on repair ticket. Dealer gets vehicle tomorrow. I believe a head gasket is blown because of coolant loss with no wet spots plus the presence of oil in the overflow now.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

That is my thoughts also..

Good luck with the repairs and let me know if you have additional questions..

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer!

Thank you!

Robert