Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Got a question about a 1999 dodge ram 2500 V10 starting

Customer Question

Customer: got a question about a 1999 dodge ram 2500 V10 starting issue.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sure... when i turn the key to the power position, dash lights up and power windows work. when i turn key to the start position, i hear a click ( starter solenoid) and then ALL Power is cut off.. i can trn the key but no power anywhere. Only way to reset it is to disconnect the POS battery cable... then can get power back when key is in position, but immediately goes off when trying to start. does that make sense at all?? very odd.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: i can wait a littl while
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

you have a poor connection at the battery cable ends at the battery, what do the battery cables look like, are they corroded, loose or poor fitting?

what I would do is get a set of replacement battery cable ends cut off the factory ends and install the replacement ends, making sure the connections are clean and tight