Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Im stumped.I am also a tech but got sent a problem child and

Customer Question
must be missing something.2001 Intrepid...
Im stumped.I am also a tech but got sent a problem child and must be missing something.2001 Intrepid 3.5 VIN and engine verified not a swap.
wont start with can sensor plugged in and data shows loss of sync and no codes.
Have confirmed mechanical timing and confirmed proper flex plate and cam gear slots and signals for 2nd gen sbec computer
The car runs perfect with cam unplugged-prior shop replaced ecm,sensors coils plugs o2 sensors and exh valves from a tsb.
I have read about the patter changes and this is why i verified the parts and sync windows.
If i set it up on true TDC the cam gears are 180 off but the sync windows are in proper firing sequence though so i am sure it is not mechanical timing.
I do have the 8v,5v and ground confirmed
Any thoughts Thanks Frank
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
12/8/2015
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 2 years ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

If it will run with the cam sensor disconnected then the timing is off.. I attached a picture of how it should look..

The timing is correct spot on been over it 2 times and looks just like pictured-i have Mitchell shop software....But if i bump crank engine with #1 plug out -RH side 1st plug by radiator-(for true TDC compression)- #1 the crank mark is ok but cams are exactly 180 off so I assume they are timing off the exhaust stroke with the marks?
The Cam Crank are NEW OE Dodge ,I have replaced cam sensor 2 times thinking it was bad and used an standard ignition one also.
BTW the other shop replaced/programmed the SBEC with same results
this was after a chrys dealer said it was the ecm

Can I get the last 8 digits of the VIN?

Is the crankshaft marks lines up when you have #1 piston @TDC? If the crankshaft is lined up when #1 piston is @TDC then the timing marks should also be lined up..

INSTALLATION - TIMING BELT

CAUTION: This procedure can only be used when the camshaft sprockets HAVE NOT BEEN LOOSENED or removed from the camshafts.

CAUTION: If camshafts have moved from the timing marks, always rotate camshaft towards the direction nearest to the timing marks (DO NOT TURN CAMSHAFTS A FULL REVOLUTION OR DAMAGE to valves and/or pistons could result).

1. Align the crankshaft sprocket with the TDC mark on oil pump cover
  2. Align the camshaft sprockets (to reference mark made upon removal) between the marks on the rear covers.
  3. Install the timing belt starting at the crankshaft sprocket going in a counterclockwise direction . Install the belt around the last sprocket. Maintain tension on the belt as it is positioned around the tensioner pulley.
  4. Holding the tensioner pulley against the belt, Install the tensioner into the housing and tighten to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.). Each camshaft sprocket mark should still fall between the cover marks.
  5. When tensioner is in place pull retaining pin to allow the tensioner to extend to the pulley bracket.
  6. Rotate crankshaft sprocket 2 revolutions and check the timing marks on the camshafts and crankshaft. The marks should line up within their respective location. If marks do not line up, repeat procedure.
  7. Install the front timing belt covers.
  8. Install the crankshaft vibration damper.
  9. Install the accessory drive belts
  10. Install the radiator fan.
  11. Install upper radiator crossmember.
  12. Connect negative cable to remote jumper terminal.
VIN info
2B3AD76V3 1H666904
the marks line up perfect as described in manuals
This procedure can only be used when the camshaft sprockets HAVE NOT BEEN LOOSENED or removed from the camshafts...
the other shop pulled heads to do valve that is why i verified slots in flexplate and cam gear
I also verified the cam gear is D slotted so gear only goes on one way
if you static set crank at #1 and cams at proper spot it is in time...But what i have found is if i bump engine or crank engine with #1 plug out and compression hose in plug hole...every time i get compression stroke on number #1 blowing off my finger from hose the cam marks are exactly 180 deg off...i do not think it is an issue due to the gear ratios of the crank and cam gears but going over everything. that was done prior to me getting car The car starts and runs with cam sensor unplugged so i know it is NOT a mechanical timing issue
If you have a no start condition on a Chrysler V6 where you have just a few injector pulses and then none, disconnect the CMP sensor. Many of these V6s will run without a CMP signal. If the engine then starts,either the timing components are out of time,- they are notthe wrong parts are installed. - they are notthe CMP signal is corruptI told you this was going to get good...
Jerry, Master Mechanic