Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2012 Dodge Durango I took it to the dodge place a

Customer Question
Customer: hello ***** ***** I...
Customer: hello ***** ***** I have a 2012 Dodge Durango I took it to the dodge place a they told me I needed a new btry and alternator... I have replaced them both and still getting the same thing...The alternator is not charging the btry??? why?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have checked the grounds and they are grounded and tight
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
the try has been checked and the tech at Auto Zone stated that the alternator is not charging the btry
12/8/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics replied 2 years ago
Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics

.

sorry for the delay............
.
Greetings...... “Hi, I’m Don (aka MOLurch) and I look forward to helping you!”
.
IF you have Voltage + from the Alternator Battery cable to the + of the Battery:
This is typically the Electronic Voltage Regulator located inside the ECM
The Electronic Voltage Regulator (EVR) is not a separate component.

It is actually a voltage regulating circuit located within the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

The EVR is not serviced separately.

If replacement is necessary, the PCM must be replaced.
Use of Dealer Scan Tool is needed to Test & Program

.
IF you need more information, please ask "prior" to Rating.
.
Please do the right thing and leave a rating, using the rating system, so I may be credited for this Q&A.
.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.
.
If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service
.

what are the steps in checking this?

do you have a Scan Tool that can read the ECM & Charging Circuit?

I think I can get that from auto zone

you will need to know the different Trouble Codes & testing points of the Charging System & the ECM

Voltage is regulated by cycling the battery voltage to control the strength of the rotor magnetic field.
The EVR circuitry monitors system line voltage (B+) and battery temperature.
It then determines a target charging voltage.
If sensed battery voltage is 0.5 volts or lower than the target voltage, the PCM energizes the field winding until sensed battery voltage is 0.5 volts above target voltage.
A circuit in the PCM cycles the battery side of the generator field up to 100 times per second (100Hz), but has the capability to full field to achieve the target voltage.
If the charging rate cannot be monitored (limp-in), a duty cycle of 25% is used by the PCM in order to have some generator output.

The amount of DC current produced by the generator is controlled by EVR circuitry contained within the PCM. This circuitry is connected in series with the generators second rotor field terminal and its ground

To perform a complete test of the charging system, refer to the appropriate Diagnostic Test Procedures and use of a diagnostic scan tool that is included in instructions of the Scan Tool.

Perform the following inspections before attaching the scan tool.

1.Inspect the battery condition.
2.Inspect condition of battery cable terminals, battery posts, connections at engine block, starter solenoid and relay. They should be clean and tight. Repair as required.
3.Inspect all fuses in both the fuseblock and Power Distribution Center (PDC) for tightness in receptacles. They should be properly installed and tight. Repair or replace as required.
4.Inspect generator mounting bolts for tightness. Replace or tighten bolts if required.
5.Inspect generator drive belt condition and tension. Tighten or replace belt as required.
6.Inspect automatic belt tensioner (if equipped).
7.Inspect generator electrical connections at generator field, battery output, and ground terminal (if equipped). Also check generator ground wire connection at engine (if equipped). They should all be clean and tight. Repair as required.

I will do it now

let me know what you find..........
strange Dodge Service did not mention the ECM / Regulator, as that is usually the failure

thanks

They did not only said the btry and alternator needed to be replaced

they should have supplied you with Test results that point to those 2 repair / replace components
IF they did not connect Scan Tool & you paid for diagnosis, I would have a talk with Service Manager

thanks

the car was died and they told me that was the result
they just told me that if the btry was died the scan tool wouldn't have worked cause the computer would have lost everything. I could take it back to them and get them to do it now if i pay for another diagnostic test

sorry......no internet.....

sounds like they just wanted to give you a answer & not a correct one........
They could have charged your Battery or used a backup to use the Scan Tool, to pinpoint the issue
Hard Trouble Codes do not just disappear from a dead battery

.

.
.
.
.
Rating is very Important to our Service

they wanted me to pay them $1185 to replace the alternator and the btry
I had the try charged at auto zone for free and I bought an alternator and installed it myself
But the some problem before the Alternator and btry died still is going on

I understand.........
As stated above, it is likely the Voltage Regulator / ECM & a New ECM will be needed & Programmed

ok so my question is...is there a way that I can replace it without getting to deep into it?

there are some On-Line sellers of ECM's that can Pre Program a new one from the V.I.N. & possibly be "plug & play"
You would have to do a search or call a few shops or Auto Parts Stores to see if they buy pre programmed ECM's

ok cool

thanks

i will check into it now

be sure to have Part Number of the ECM when asking or searching

i am going to cal the dealership service department and get the info

thanks

I have another question...after replacing the btry and alternator should you reset the ECM?
or will it reset automatically?

When the Battery is disconnected & reconnected, the ECM is reset

ok

.

Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch