Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Changed the belt tensioner and when I started the van diesel

Customer Question
fuel started leaking (steady stream)...
Changed the belt tensioner and when I started the van diesel fuel started leaking (steady stream), appeared to becoming on passenger side of the front of the block(front corner of oil pan) but could not see where it was coming from. It leaked about a pint and stopped. Any idea what is going on?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
12/5/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 2 years ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Did you verify that the fluid was in fact Diesel Fuel? It is more common for a coolant to be leaking from the passenger side. Did you look around the injection pump?

It was diesel fuel, I know the difference. it leaked for only about 60 seconds so I was not able to trace back the leak. We have used the van for two and not seen anymore leakage. I am very familiar with 06 sprinter vans but I have not come across this and was wondering if anyone has. Where is the injector pump located?

The injection pump is located at the very front of the engine just above the waterpump/fan pulley. The fuel inlet is on the driver side center area. Look closely at the injection pump for signs of possible leakage at one of the 3 "Cylinder heads". Sometimes these can leak. Normally when leakage occurs there it results in a no start situation and a very large leak in front of the engine. The fuel quantity valve is located on the right side of the injection pump with a 2 way electrical connector. Look closely at this valve for signs of leakage.

If you are not able to find any leaks, all I can recommend is to continue to drive it and just keep an eye every day for possible leakage in the same area, If it leaks again, check carefully for the source while it is still wet with fuel, if you can inspect it while it is leaking or very shortly after, you should be able to find the source..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master