-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I have a 2002 dodge/chrysler caravan and i need to replace

Customer Question

Hello
i have a 2002 dodge/chrysler caravan and i need to replace the transmission range sensor
engine 3.3l
vin#2C4GP44352R584717
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

just to be clear you need the procedure correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i took down the other plate lots of bolts
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

ok let me pull up the procedure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a photo
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

great if you can upload it that would be fantastic, use the paperclip icon in the upper tool bar

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is were im at
I know sensor is to right i can see bottom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's another of actual part
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

here is a link to the procedure, you MUST remove the valve body to get the range sensor out, the range sensor is on the valve body, the file is in word format please download and review it, if you have further questions please ask before you rate the service, you can print and save the file to your pc, the file is only up for a few days.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg0vckoojbqkdwh/range%20sensor.docx?dl=0

this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please i need to separate the valve body
From main to get to under mount sensor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Photo please
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

you already have the valve body out of the transmission the range sensor simply bolts to the valve body NOT the transmission

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

your pic shows the transmission with the valve body OUT

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i get underneath
I know sensor is there below
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

I do not understand THE RANGE SENSOR IS ON THE VALVE BODY which you already have out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The photo i sent u is attached to body st and the sensor us on how do i remove
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The valve body is still attached does it pull off the body or is it bolted
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry you are being a bit confusing I must opt out please DO MOT respond or you will be locked to me and no other expert can assist you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent photo
Thanks
I payed and need the help
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

I'm a 18 yr Dodge dealership technician and I looked at your picture and you have a mess, and let me explain... Your trying to remove the TRS which is located on the top of the valvebody and you have disassembled the valvebody and not pulled it out.. I attached one of your pictures and showed you what needs to come out... And to remove what's left you will need to disconnect the shifter cable and turn the shifter all the way to the right (you will see what when you get the valvebody out) which will put it in low and secure the shift rod and then remove the shifter bracket and remove the valvebody... You may need to push down on the shifter tower but it will come out... Once you have it out then the fun begins, and you should see the TRS on top that you can replace, then reassembly.. Well when you removed the Torx screws you disassembled the valvebody and dropped all the teflon balls for the passages... I hope you found all them because I attached a location for each of them. Once you have them in torque the valvebody bolts to 45in/lbs. Then torque the valvebody to transmission bolts to 165in/lbs.

I hope I got everything but that should fix you up, and if you need anything else free free to reply.

Thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
For understanding
1-The shafter cable is located on top OUTSIDE of transmission right.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again regarding the teflon balls I only have 3 of them need six correct????
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Good morning...

Yes the shifter cable is attached to the shift tower on the top of the transmission.. Disconnect the cable and move it all the way clockwise then remove the bracket, after that you can push the shift tower down and push the valvebody out...

Glad I could help and thank you again for the positive rating so I'm compensated for my time..

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On shifter please can you illustrated the location
Would appreciate it
Thank you
Victor
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

I attached the shifter cable picture... You need to remove #1 and then push down on tower to push out the valvebody...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDrUFt2SEZI&index=8&list=PL585FDC54E0414A2E

Thank you again for the positive rating,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello what tool would u use to take arm off steering shaftThanks Victor
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean the shift shaft? Pull off the cable and then remove the shift bracket with a 10mm..

Thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
There can you send me how do I pull the pin on the shift rod it goes over this and then there's like a metal cap over it
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

The metal cap stays there because it's a vent for the transmission.. All you need to do is loosen the 10mm and slide the bracket off the rod..

Would be be easier to call?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent you the picture regarding the shift cable and then when it's attached to the light on and then it goes to this shaft that goes into the transmission where abouts do you want me to disconnect it first
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Loosen the bolt I highlighted.. Then remove the cable and turn it clockwise then pull it off and push down on the cap to push the shift shaft and valvebody out...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it
Great then push down
Then valve body cones down right
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Yes it should come out then..

And don't forget follow up questions are free of charge after the rating...

Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Don't forget to rate so I'm compensated for my time helping you!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to close this but start up on a again in a few months because I won't be around that car for a few months is that ok with you
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Sure!!! I'm not compensated until you rate my assistance.. Thank you for the positive rating!!