rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 1999 Dodge Caravan 2.4 L engine with A timing belt

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Dodge Caravan 2.4 L engine with A timing belt and over 80,000 miles on it. The problem is I suspect either the timing belt pop or some kind of changing timing damage. May be a faulty timing belt tensioner or timing belt guides. There is a camshaft position sensor code that pops up vehicle is not getting any fire spark plugs. And in Engine does not crank normally it has a starter motor electric sound timing belt is loose on tensioner side. My question is if the timing belt popped or the tensioner has went bad is this a high interference motor. I am concerned rather the engine is damaged bent valves.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

You can start with a compression test to see if it's timing related, sounds like it is to me.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK my question is if the timing belt pop or if there is damage to the timing belt tensioner and the timing belt no longer have sufficient tension on it if the vehicle at jump time can the vile become damaged in the head on this particular 1999 Dodge Caravan 2.4 engine
If I do a compression check on a vehicle that has a timing problem there are two ways that I may be able to do it a regular compression chec if I do a compression check on a vehicle that has a timing problem there are two ways that I may be able to do it a regular compression gauge that works on the physicals cranking capacity and a air compression gauge that works on air being pumped into the cylinders
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

That's the reason for the compression test, to see how far we're off if it jumped due to a lack of tightness, or if it broke and caused further damage.

Thanks again

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the 1999 Dodge Caravan a high interference or non-interference engine
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

All Data says NO

Please don't forget to rate me and keep our link for future reference if needed for this problem.

Thanks again, Ron