Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Just wondering loss of coolant in a 2004 dodge dakota truck

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, just wondering loss of coolant in a 2004 dodge dakota truck and white smoke coming out of exhaust
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: noticed coolant was low when check gages light come on and temperature spiked. no other warnings. white smoke comes out from exhaust when first started
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

The first thing you need to do is checking for a coolant leak at the engine bay, look for any wet spots where you park .

Radiator ,hoses ,water pump ,freeze out plugs are common leaks on this vehicles.

If nothing find I would have the engine check for possible blown head gaskets.there is a test with special liquid and fumes from your radiator ,this test can confirm a blown head gasket ,this in case of the liquid change color.

Usually when you get the white smoke the problem is the cylinder head gaskets but you can also have a problem with the intake gasket, the test would help here.

Does the engine run poorly when you first start it ?

Does your check engine light come on or is it ON ?

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No coolant on ground.engine runs fine when started.engine light on
Expert:  I. Silva replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I would scan the engine computer to see what code is coming up as the first step ,if you getting coolant into the cylinder head ,you should get like a misfiring code .

When you find out the code (misfiring code ) remove the spark plug to see if it is wet.(just let the engine run for 2 or 3 seconds before removing the plug.

If you don't have a scanner or code reader ,just stop at any major auto parts store and they will scan it for you at no cost.

Let me know what kind of code you have.

Thank you very much.