sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2000 Durango, 5.9. original issue: stayed in first until

Customer Question

2000 Durango, 5.9. original issue: stayed in first until revved the snot out of it while shifting up and down I could get 2nd. rarely could I get third. engine would idle down without resistance on deacceleration. codes 138 (o2 sensor) 1756 (pressure) pulls hard when accelerating. pulled pan, lot of very fine metal particulates. put in New pressure solenoid and sensor. now stays in third. if manually shift up to 2nd,usually stays in 1st and goes to 3rd when clicking into drive.if goes into second, has medium pull strength to 1500 rpm and then slips to about 3000 which then engages and pulls hard. all other gears including O.D.. a tranny man I'm not But I've had my hands in a few. any suggestions would sure assist in the gray hair situation that's already rampant.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You likely have more than one issue going on. The slipping into second was most likely initially caused by the kickdown band being out of adjustment, but that won't cause an issue outside of slipping into second.

If it's stuck in third gear now it could be a mechanical failure but third gear is also used for limp in due to an electrical problem. Are there any fault codes setting currently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after further testing, this is how acts. after the pressure sensor and solenoid was installed. does stay in 3rd. when come to a stop and pull down to first, will kick down to 1st just as taking off. when shift to 2nd it does nothing and goes to 3rd when shift to third. overdrive works normal. when nothing happens in 2nd it is still in first, and when let up on throttle, idle down without engine resistance. upon acceleration, it barely grabs and let's go until higher rpm' s and then accelerates as in first. codes have jumped around and will give soon as I pull the newest ones. my guess is that 2nd band or clutch plates are gone. would that prevent 2nd shift ? Will send new codes shortly.

Let me know what codes are currently setting and we'll go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
two codes, p0138, p1763. i apologize for slow response, all work and not enough play.

Where did the replacement governor transducer come from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both the sensor and the pressure solenoid came from Napa.

Can you check the wiring around the trans 8 way connector for damage, unplug the connector and see if there is any corrosion on the terminals?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
again I apologize for slow response. no changes to report other than update on shifting. starts out in third when in drive. when pull down into 2nd it goes to first. pulling down to 1st does nothing and shifting up from 1st to 2nd does nothing(stays in first) and 2nd to 3rd goes to 3rd. overdrive works normal and shifts in and out automatically. when in 1st it accelerates strong and when let up on peddle there's no engine brake and will freely drop to idle. it will accelerate when rpm catches up to vehicle speed. once in a great while it will engine break in 1st but is rare. never do I get a false neutral and no slipping. codes are still 138 and 1763. overdrive works which should eliminate fault in trans relay, connecter and harness are clean and good. was Hopin not to pull tranny but at least would like to confirm failure before doing so.

Unplug both oxygen sensor connectors, clear the codes and take it for a drive. Does the trans shift and does the governor code set again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cleared codes, unplugged o2 sensors and drove. 1763, 132, 135, 138, 141.

Does it shift any differently?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope. drives exactly the same.

Are you able to do electrical testing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am. have diagnostic chart on 1763 code. will test accordingly and any other test you recommend.

I was going to have you go through the testing for this code if you were able to. Go ahead and continue with it then and let me know what you find!