-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

1994 Dodge Intrepid. Has factory "vehicle theft alarm".

Customer Question

1994 Dodge Intrepid. Has factory "vehicle theft alarm". For no apparent reason, the horn started blowing, the emergency lights started flashing, and when I started the engine, it fired up for a second or two and then dies. I had to disconnect the battery because I can't figure out how to reset the system. When I reconnected the battery, it all started up again and won't stop.
Can you tell me how to reset the system, or better yet, just disable the vehicle theft alarm?
Thanks for your patience.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!!!

To disarm the alarm you will need to lock/unlock the drivers, passenger or hatch. Also if you have a remote by pressing the unlock will disarm the alarm... Also I'm sorry but the alarm can't be disabled.

Case Number999924255

Vehicle IssueDisable theft alarm => Theft is internal to the BCM and cannot be disabled;In what area is the electrical problem? >> Vehicle theft security system Does this vehicle have an external VTSS module? >> NO Is the vehicle equipped with factory theft alarm? >> YES What is problem with the VTSS(theft alarm)? >> Disable or remove

System or ComponentEnabling / Disabling Issues;Customer Concern (No DTCs);Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS)

RecommendationTheft alarm cannot be disabled on this vehicle Theft is internal to the BCM and cannot be disabled

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me why the engine would start and then immediately die?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

It's most likely a security issue since the horn and lights are flashing.. I would try disarming the system and see if it starts then..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brad, I was able to make my old remote key gadget work and that solved the problem, at least for now. I am still unable to even guess what it was t hat set the alarm off, so I am just going to sell the car. It is old and getting unreliable. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome!!

Thank you for the positive rating and have a happy thanksgiving..

Brad