Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

What will cause my power steering reservoir to overflow?? I

Customer Question
just bought this truck and...
what will cause my power steering reservoir to overflow?? I just bought this truck and its covered in fluid , looks like its been happening for awhile now. its caked in fluid... 1999 Dakota 3.9
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
11/24/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

There are a few things - slipping belt that causes the steering pump to not turn at full revolutions, faulty power steering pump, faulty steering gear box, restriction in the system.

You need to start by making sure the belt tensioner is keeping the belt tight and not allowing it to slip. IF ok, then I would recommend next flushing out the power steering lines, both the high pressure and the return line.

It still continuing, then a special power steering pump pressure gage will need to be used to determine where the failure is - power steering pump or the gearbox and then replace as needed.

Most of the time it is due to either a slipping belt or failure in the power steering pump shaft

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

you really haven't told me anything special. I kind of feel like youre treating me like a 10 yr old with absolutely no knowledge of mechanics. ive diagnosed and replaced/repaired many auto parts in my lifetime. I found better opinions and knowledge just googling it but was hoping for a better opinion and experience with this site that im not very familiar with. but im just going to do what I think I need to solve the issue. thanks anyways and I hope im not scammed out of any money besides the $28.

HI,

I have no idea of your knowledge level as you neglected to mention if you are a novice, shadetree mechanic, or licensed mechanic. I dont have mind reading skills to guess, so I start with the basics and expect the customer to do their part and let me know what their skill level is.

I will opt out rather than offer additional help

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager