Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger 2.4 engine. My car cranks, but

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 2008...
Hi, I have a 2008 Dodge Avenger 2.4 engine. My car cranks, but won't start. Would you know the issue?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
11/10/2015
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 2 years ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Do you know if the check engine light is on and what codes it has? Also have you tested for spark and fuel?

Check engine light is on. As well as the electric throttle control light. We checked fuses. And spark plugs. There seems to be no fuel going into the engine.
Also, the car is showing no codes

Will it start with starting fluid and when you connect a scantool are there any codes in the PCM?

We tried putting starting fluid but no luck. How would I test the pcm?

If it will not start with starting fluid then it's likely no spark issue.. How are you checking the codes? With a scantool?

It plugs under the steering wheel

Did it stall going down the road or just wouldn't start one day? Can I get the last 8 of your VIN?

It started and then just died. Then after a few times, it just cranked but nothing else

Does the engine sound as it always has when cranking? Did you spray the starting fluid in the breather to start it? also is there a red security light on in the dash?

The engine will continue cranking even when I release my hands off the key. And the only lights that are on are the check engine and the ETC (it's the lightning bolt in parentheses)

It could be a bad ETC(Electronic Throttle Control) but it should set some codes.. If you have your scantool will it relearn the ETC? Also you said it didn't have any codes but would it communicate with the PCM?

How do I hook it up to the PCM?

Under the dash at the ODBII port..

when I hook that up, it shows no codes. How can I check the electronic throttle control. Also, would changing the front tires have anything to do with it? This all happened after we changed the brakes

I wouldn't think you done anything when you replaced the brakes. Also your vehicle has "Tip" start when when you bump the key it will continue to crank until it starts which is normal.. Also it sounds like you only have a code reader and not a scantool and at the point I would suggest getting a scantool such as the WITech I use to check the entire system for any codes.. Now a days with all the modules that are on a vehicle it's very difficult to diagnose a no start issue with one. Can you get the entire system scanned for codes? I'm interested in codes from the TIPM, PCM, WCM..

You are right, I am using just a code reader. Where do I go from here without a scan tool?

We have done all the checks and at this point it will require a scantool to see exactly what codes are in which modules I attached a screenshot of the WITech. It shows if a module is down which will cause a no start and what codes are in each one.. A code reader will only retrieve ODBII codes like EGR and O2 sensors and we need to know what codes are in all the modules...

-Brad-
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech