Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a ram 1500 that just quit while driving...truck

Customer Question
cranks but no start. Truck...
I have a ram 1500 that just quit while driving...truck cranks but no start. Truck through a code of p0601 which came out to be pcm. Replace Pcm but problem is the same. I also do not hear my fuel pump pressure up
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
11/8/2015
Dodge Mechanic: bill, dodge master tech replied 2 years ago
bill
bill, dodge master tech

if you don't hear the fuel pump it is possible the pump went south, BUT first I need to know what your skill level is and if you can check for fuel pressure, and if there are any OTHER codes setting, a p0601 will not cause the truck to stop running

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

sorry I DO NOT DO live calls if you like I can opt out and open it to an expert that does

I know my way around automobiles and trucks

ok so have you checked for fuel pressure?

and have you pulled any other codes, remember there are tons of reason the fuel pump doesn't SOUND like it is being activated from failed sensors to a failed pump but we need to determine what is missing FIRST spark or fuel, if there are no codes shoot some carb cleaner down the throttle body and see if she tries to start that will help with determining what is missing

I don't know what state you live in BUT in conneticut where I am we see our fair share of pumps failing BUT I have seen crank or cam sensors fail and wiring as well

No other codes have come up I may have been premature with changing out the PCM . I also have check the fuel rail and it seems no fuel is passing through the rail.

have you shot a bit of carb cleaner in the throttle body yet to see if she tries to fire?

I had also shot down the throttlebody some starter fluid and nothing happened
We can keep texting

ok have you checked for spark as well?

if it won't try to start with carb cleaner ( I HATE ether starting fluid it's too volatile and evaporates too fast carb cleaner is more like gas and doesn't evaporate as fast)

it's possible the crank sensor is dead which will kill the engine and prevent the fuel pump from coming on BUT it will also kill spark as well

I'm willing to try anything bill ...... I will try changing out the crank sensor.

NO check for spark FIRST your wasting money and time just guessing

Ok

diagnosing a no start is basic testing and process of elimination, one reason good techs and shops charge as much as they do, it's cheaper to properly diagnose the problem than throw guesses at it

Bill I have a question for you I did notice on my instrument panel my volt gauge upon cranking my motor the gauge reads about 14 V and then my check gauge light kicks on and the volt gauge drops to zero is this normal

does it say NO BUS on the odometer and can you communicate with the new pcm with your scan tool or code reader?

The original pcm I believe had said that ..... But since I had put the new Pcm in I do not get that. Where I got the code was turning the ignition 3 times. Now the odometer says done twice

you need a code reader to pull codes the method you use is very unreliable and was phased out years ago with the obd2 regulations, a generic code reader is pretty cheap at under a hundred bucks

Back to my gauge.... Should my gauge drop to 0 once my check gauge light comes on.

that's why I need to know if you can communicate with a code reader or scan tool, if you cannot and the computer is NOT responsive the gauges will not act normal, I have never seen a normally working gauge do what you are saying unless the pcm is non responsive and the communication bus is down.

Ok..... I have a buddy that has a reader...I will get it tomorrow. Thank you bill for your help so far.

no problem let me know what you come up with

Jerry, Master Mechanic