sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Winging it, I tried to swap a 2003 4x4 manual 4.7 dokata

Customer Question

Winging it, I tried to swap a blown 2003 4x4 manual 4.7 dokata engine with a engine out of my 2001 2x4 automatic 4.7 dodge dokota. It gets spark, fuel line has pressure,but not sure if its enough. It did fire with starter fluid. Also it puts out error code po335. After some frustrating research why it might not be starting, looks like there's 2 different reluctor rings. 2001 has a 12 tooth and 2003 a 32 tooth causing my engine not to start. First i wanted to confirm the possible bad news? If this is the case what are my options from here? If not, do u know what else.it could be, the engine ran befor I took it out. I do have both trucks , dont really knowing how to get to the reluctor rings to swap them out? If that's even a option , it doesn't sound good? Also sounds like i could a tempt to pull the wiring and pcm out of the 2001 and install in the 2003 body with the 2001 engine I just installed? Are these my only 2 options? Im only slightly mechanically inclined, which one would be easyer? Can u give me some detailed instructions on how to proceed? Better yet, a simple fix i couldnt figure out would be perfect.
Much Mahalos!
Paul zoia
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Look at the PCM's and connectors on each truck, (the truck the engine is installed and the one the engine came out of). The PCM's should be the same and should have the same amount of connectors. IF not, then the computers are different and the engine simply wont work. As far as I am aware of, the only fix would be to reinstall the correct engine. However, I have heard from others that they were able to install the correct reluctor rings to make it work. You can always give that a shot. If not, then just be sure that the orignal engine follows the same computer it came from the factory on day one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 03 engine is shot, so i picked up then 01 for its engine. All ready looked at the computers, thats where i got some of the info I had already given you. The 01 uses only 3 plugs anf guessings its the jpc cpm and then 03 also only has 3 plugs but a slot for a 4th so guessing it the nbc cpm. I've research for hr, reading thousands of threads. This is why I'm asking u a certified dodge machnic for answers, not in heard guya have changed out the reluctor wheel. Is there somebody else that can help me with answers if ur not able too. I've read on other just answer threads, much more detailed answers with less info in there question. Can then reluctor ring be changed? Will it work? What steps does that entail? If changing cpu route what does that entail?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I will leave this question open. Good luck

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow, sry, there's alot of miss spellings. Mahalos for ur help, hopefully can get a answer soon, would be even more bummed if tryed to figure out how to swap the rings and it didn't work.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The 2001 trucks were JTEC, the change to NGC on these trucks was 2002.5. The 2003 engine is definitely NGC and the crank sensor tone wheel is different. The JTEC controller in your truck won't recognize the cam and crank tone wheel patterns and this is why it won't start.

There are two options, either replace the engine with the correct one or replace the tone wheels. What would need to be replaced are the crank tone wheel and the right cam sprocket. The crank tone wheel is bolted onto the crank but it's one piece, meaning the crank would have to come out of the block to do so. This will require removing the engine, oil pan, timing cover, the bedplate from the bottom of the block and removing the crank completely from the engine. It would be much quicker and easier to install the correct engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Much Mahalos, wish I could have found a engine on island. Took me a year for find the 01 truck. I'll try call around tomorrow maybe get lucky. For a amature, how long would you est, with the engine out, pulling the crank with reassembly would take?

Once the engine is out you'd probably be looking at around 8-10 hours of work to replace the tone wheel.