sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2003 dodge 5.9 diesel that is cranking but wont

Customer Question

hi i have a 2003 dodge 5.9 diesel that is cranking but wont start.it is giving me a p0483 code and was working fine the previous night.lately the first start of the morning has been taking longer than usual also.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from what ive read is that its probably the fan clutch so i was going to buy one of those
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have quite a few things going on but yes, it's possible for the fan clutch to cause a no start condition. The clutch receives a power feed and has an internal speed sensor. Once in a while the power feed will short to the sensor ground or reference voltage circuit and it can cause a no start.

Unless there is wiring damage then the clutch will almost surely need to be replaced, but you can try unplugging it's connector and then see if the engine will start. If not then you have a deeper problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tried unplugging the connector and it didnt start but it started later in the afternoon after the weather heated up a bit.im also going to replace the fuel filter since it looks to be about due.

Let me know how it goes!