Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Having issues with a shudder at low rpms and at lower speeds

Customer Question
/ gears. As soon...
Having issues with a shudder at low rpms and at lower speeds / gears. As soon as I give it more gas, shudder goes away. Replaced plugs and selonoid pack with no difference. Thinking iac valve might be bad.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dodge
10/26/2015
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I need a little more info to assist better.

Does your vehicle have an automatic transmission?

If you slightly apply pressure to the brake pedal when this occurs does the shudder stop then at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Auto transmission. Just letting off the gas stops the shudder, so no brake is needed. Tried cleaning the iac and no effect. Really seems to have low shift points I.e. tach rpms get really low before it down shifts but responds well if you give it gas.

O.k.,this sounds like the common fault with the transmission torque converter itself or the torque converter lock up solenoid that may be at fault causing this here.This should be part of the complete solenoid pack in the transmission itself usually replaced as an assembly.

The torque converter will kick in and out of lock up which will cause this shudder issue and is common,most of the time the solenoid pack itself needs replaced to correct this fault.The solenoid pack is on the transmission valve body itself as seen here https://www.dropbox.com/s/p9p9atsuwymebpr/sol-10-26.gif?dl=0.

I would have the transmission checked into further to make sure of the torque converter causing this or the solenoid before having either replaced.In some cases it can also be the valve body needing replaced in the transmisison but I have also seen where a simple transmission flush with a flush machine will free up and remove debris from the transmission to correct this as well.

One way to tell for sure is when this occurs slightly apply the brake pedal and if the shudder stops then it is one of these here that needs serviced/replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

I have recently replaced the selenoid pack with no difference. The transmission fluid was changed at that time. No comment on the iac valve and the low rpms shift points?

If the transmission torque converter is locking up or staying engaged this will lower the RPM's when down shifting as this puts extra strain on the engine with the torque converter locked up.I have seen this before.

It is possible the IAC isn't responding fast enough to bump up the idle during the shift but this almost sounds like the more common fault with the torque converter.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician